Heating - auto-fill

We moved into a new (to us, but really 15 years old) house last June. A few days after switching the heating in autumn on a loud banging through the heating system and the whole house could be heard. It stopped after a minute or so, after scaring the crap out of both of us, it was pretty loud. A couple of months later it did it again, and I sort of ignored it, assuming everything was normal and that it might be the heating system topping itself up - is this likely? The last time it happened I stuck my head in the airing cupboard and the pipes were shaking around pretty badly, hence the noise I guess. WHen it stops it's accompanied by a big switchy "click" noise but I've not yet worked out what this is coming from.

We have a gas boiler around 15 years old, no pressure gauge on it unfortunately, and in the airing cupboard a cylinder with two pumps. One marked CH Pump goes to the cylinder (eh???) and one marked HW Pump just sits on a vertical pipe traversing the cupboard. Both pumps are Grundfos Selectics and totally silent in operation. A couple of the radiators have slight drip leaks around the valves, which I've totally ignored as they'll get replaced in a year or so anyway.

Is there such a thing as auto-fill heating - and if so what controls it? Boiler?

The other possibly related issue is that I think the pipes under one bedroom are either close together or up against a joist. When hot water comes on there's a bang big enough to wake anybody in the room and putting your hand to the floor in certain areas you can feel the vibrations, it's also nice and warm!

This has only become a question because it's now happening once a day and this may or may not be a coincidence but there are some odd possibly dripping sounds behind one of the walls (no evidence of a leak yet though).

Reply to
Mike Buckley

I had a sytem with a Primatic cylinder that used to do this occasioanally espy when it had been on for a while and the DHW was very hot and there was no way to control that other than run it off in to the sink .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

My primatic used to do this in the middle of the night when the system cooled a bit. The roof tank used to get a dose of overflow as well. So at 3am, all that banging and bubbling sounds with the actual sound of running water.

Magic.

Reply to
ericp

Not heard of systems that top themsleves up other than by a ball valve in the header tank. You don't say what the system is, combi, sealed, open vented, etc

Airing cupboard with hot water cylinder. Banging stopping with a big switchy click. Sticky thermostat on an immersion heater causing the cylinder to boil? The banging then jogs the stat enough to switch off, until next time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No immersion heater, if we've got one I've not seen it :-)

Boiler is an Ideal Classic Fanned Flue NF something.

I'll try turning the HW down a bit.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

In message , Mike Buckley writes

It would be illegal

you are not allowed to have a perm. Connection between the system and the water main

Reply to
geoff

geoff wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@demon.co.uk:

Not illegal at all.

Quit common to find these on larger pressurised installations and even on some domestic systems.

Check out Mikrofill.co.uk among others.

Heliotrope Smith

In message , Heliotrope Smith writes

Real CH fitter says it is

geoff

mean the latter going by the article re Combi Boilers

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Find the pressure gauge its there and has to be known to you or you might ruin the boiler if something is wrong. SwIshy noise? maybe the Safter Pressure Release Valve, yes there are Auto water feed valves and they do go bad and overfill. How many stories is home, I run 3 stories and only need 12-15lb pressure and my saftery is a 35lb valve, lower pressure=3D longer life. If you have hard water you are dumping in minerals that can scale and ruin a boiler, Its a closed system, it should not leak, adding water with minerals kills boilers, it will also make them nock-pop-bang. I have an auto feed, and mine is Off.

Reply to
ransley

In message , Usenet Nutter writes

OK so it's now increasing in frequency, every couple of hours that the HW/CH is on. What is the venting going to/from? All the noise is from the hot water cylinder and the nearby pipes but that's as much as I can make out. Turning down the boiler and the HW thermostat hasn't made any difference, unless it's made it worse.

If there's a pressure gauge on the boiler it's behind the main cover, will remove and check when I get back from work.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

In message , Mike Buckley writes

Still getting worse, in frequency and power. Getting so I can see it busting some of the joints around the HW cylinder.

Thoughts?

There is 100% definitely no gauge on the boiler. Taken the front panel off and had a good look.

I also have no bleed screws on the radiators, so if I did think it was the CH I can't even remove air from that.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

No bleed screws ...You sure ..not located on the back near the top?

Didn't know they made rads with no bleed screws

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

In message , Usenet Nutter writes

D'oh, confused by modern rad. All the rads I've ever seen have had them on the side, looks like these thinner types have them on the back.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

They don't! There'll be some somewhere!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sounds like system could be overheating and the boiler actually boiling. This could be a failed thermostat, failed pump, system blockage, etc.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Well whatever it was it's now stopped, nothing last night and nothing today. Longest without an "episode" nearly all week.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

The commonest auto fill device is a F&E tank, he's probably got one of those. Unless it's a primatic cylinder,as some smart person said.

The auto-fill device is legal if properly installed. It has a reduced- pressure-zone valve back-flow prevention device. It should be installed and maintained by someone with the relevant water regulations qualification. It's more usual to have a pumped pressurization set with a break tank. I've never seen a domestic system with any of these, so they're red herrings in this context.

Reply to
Onetap

Googling hasn't really helped me work out what's going on with my system, nor how it's set up.

I have a Honeywell NF-50 boiler, a hot water cylinder of some description and a cold tank in the loft. There are two Grundfos pumps, and the pumps along with the pipes are labelled as to what they are and where they go. Confusingly the CH labelled pump is on a pipe that goes into the HW cylinder about halfway up, where as the HW labelled pump is on a vertical pipe that runs through the airing cupboard. From reading the replies I wouldn't expect the CH pump to go anywhere near the cylinder.

I also have another possible pump (unlabelled) which is on a pipe that goes to the cylinder, this is a blue device with a car tyre style valve poking out one side.

I can get a pic uploaded if that would help?

Still no more problems with the banging.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

Pic:

Mike Buckley