Heater for summer house

My parents are going to put a summer house in their garden and want a heater for it. What would be suitable? Some sort of paraffin heater? Any web retailers sell something suitable?

Reply to
conant

If its wood I'd be tempted not to heat it with anyhting that could be classed as an accelerant, electric would be the way to go :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

Well yes I am a bit concerned about that! It'll be a long way from the house so electic isn't an option I think.

Reply to
conant

Can I ask how far?

Reply to
Staffbull

On 3 Dec 2006 07:19:25 -0800 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote this:-

Why?

Summer houses are intended for use... in the summer.

Reply to
David Hansen

About 60' I guess. Perhpas I 'll suggest that they look at getting a cable laid but I think it'll be pricey.

Reply to
conant

Yeah they're asking a bit much really aren't they?!

Reply to
conant

Yep to get someone to do it, needs to go 18" down in a trench covered with slabs and laid in sand. (I think)

Reply to
Staffbull

Avoid paraffin heaters. They chuck out too much moisture into the air. There is also the fire risk.

My option would be a electric oil-filled radiator.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

you could DIY the cable yourself, would be a handy idea to put sockets/lights in there ( depending on how big theyre thinking of)

Reply to
Staffbull

P.S. Having just seen that an electricity supply permanently is not an option, I would run a plug-in extension lead, or make one, connected to a RCB protected circuit. I think that this would avoid having to deal with Part Pee but I could be wrong.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Portable Calor gas heater? Like this sort of thing

HLAH

PPS That should have been RCD, not RCB. Sorry!

Reply to
Steve

just use plastic pipe used for overflows or similar, one double socket in the summer house and connect the other end to an rcd, you can make the 'trench' by inserting a spade full depth and waggling it back and forth, try to go through lawn as much as possible and avoid beds..other than that you could go the other way - height, as long as it's above 2m high it will be OK, bollocks to part p etc.

Reply to
Phil L

If its fitted with a RCD plug and plugged into a domestic socket then its classed as an "extension lead" anyhoo, and exempt of the wonderfull part P

Reply to
Staffbull

I'll suggest you try electrowarm electric heaters. See their website at

Dawda Jawarah

Reply to
Dawda Jawarah