Heated mat.

I want to make or buy a heated mat about 6 inches or 150 mm square to dry off delicate things that have been cleaned in an ultrasonic bath. The ideal surface temp would be about 100 to 120 degrees F.

Along with mains AC I have 5 and 12 volts with enough Amps to power it.

Any ideas folks?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

A heated cat bed.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Nice idea, I didn't know they existed, but I think it will be a bit large for the space I am going to place it. Having almost sent this, I had second thoughts about where I could place it.

Thanks for your reply

Dave

Reply to
Dave

One of the heated pads for snakes and the likes - go to a good pet shop that sells snakes, lizards, etc. Rob

Reply to
robgraham

In message , Dave writes

Demijohn heater - used in home brewing

something like this

'm sure you can find better

Reply to
geoff

Why bother? Top of the boiler? In the airing cupboard? Ah I guess you have one of the new fangled combi things so no nice warm boiler or airing cupboard...

I'd have thought you'd be better off with lightly ventilated warm box rather than just an open pad. Build a box for a small hot water bottle? How often is this needed, Hotties good enough?

a boil for a few minutes hand warmer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Pffft. Think laterally.

We have a lovely toasty spacious airing cupboard - and a combi boiler.

(There's a small radiator in the back of the airing cupboard)

Reply to
Adrian

I thought that initially - but I'm not so sure on second thoughts, as they usually have instructions that say two full demijohns must always be on top - ensures proper heat spreading, and thus avoids overheating element.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

RS Components do silicone rubber low voltage heating pads

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A small fan in a box with a screen on top would be faster, There are all sorts of different heating pad sizes for people, my mom had a few of them,

Reply to
ransley

Heated mirror glass from a car scrapyard

Reply to
Vortex6

Thanks for that idea, I'll try and find our local one.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That would have been ideal if it was meant for a sing demijohn.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Search on eBay for "vivarium heater". Lots of choices from around a tenner.

Reply to
Vortex6

Nice thought, but I can't reach the top of the boiler, it is too high. Airing cupboard is not warm enough now we have a new insulated tank fitted.

OK this is what I want it for, lots of folk drop their mobile phone or camera in water, just like my wife did a few years ago. The cost of repair would have bought her a newer, better camera. So I though, well nothing to lose by dropping it in my ultrasonic bath, turning it all sides up with the lens extended.

I then left it on the radiator that is in a utility room, the rad is well throttled back so it doesn't get very warm. The camera has to be kept warm for about 2 weeks, to allow it to dry out. but this rad is getting difficult to reach what with a shoe rack in front of it and outside coats hung above it, hence the thought of a mat, especially as the rads will be cold for the summer

So far, I have had only one partial failure with my wife's camera. When it is switched off it can flatten the batteries in about 2 weeks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll take a look later, I'm cooking at the moment and have to get up every few minutes to check on the progress.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Now that's lateral thing at its best :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Likely burnt out. Unless a very new car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One of the demo heated tiles that they always used to have by the tills in Wickes?

Reply to
Bill

I was going to suggest the same. Round here the hedges are full of them cos the local yobs like to rip off any mirror assembly, wheel trim etc. from cars foolishly parked outside. I've actually 'rescued' a heating pad or two, but never did find a use for them.

spamlet