Heat Recovery Ventilation - Any advice or good links to guides etc?

Has anyone got any good advice on HRV ?

Looking to install in 4 bedroom detached house, will be a DIY job of course.

Any good links to guides or to manufacturers or UK suppliers?

What is the most efficient make or model?

Thanks for any help !

Mark.

Reply to
marky UK

Mark,

The makers tend to advertise in the selfbuild mags like: Selfbuild & Design, Build It, etc, available in WH Smiths.

Are you self building or renovating? Either way, it may be worth your while seriously upgrading the insulation on your house, then sizing up the HRV ducting, installing a copper duct heater battery heated by a boiler and using the HRV system to heat all of the house eliminating rads.

Reply to
IMM

I have MHRV in my current place manufactured by Greenwood Airvac .... installed in it 1984, would never build a house without one.

On my current build - I have again installed MHRV, (Mechanical Heat Recovery & Ventilation) this has increased efficiency over the older units - more efficient cross flow heat, lower current variable speed fans.

It has a few additions over older model - now has a LPHWB low pressure hot water battery, here the incoming air is passed through what is akin to a car rad - and the heating system water passes through this pre-heating incoming air when heating is on (i.e. when needed) In addition to 3 stages of filtration it also has 5 micron electrostatic dust filters - to kill all traces of pollen dust (members of family suffer from hay fever)

There is a built in electric heater that can supply supplementary heating if outside temp drops below freezing - which is a problem with the older system.

I also have a reverse heat pump to provide cooling if required in hot weather.

The system I have is by Villavent

are others around such as Genvex, Vent-Axia etc.

MHRV also allows you to meet Build Regs requirement for ventilation without having to have 'orrible trickle vents in your windows.

MHRV is very important as insulation levels go up - you really need good ventilation, otherwise condensation is a serious problem.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I gotta stop reading these newsgroups so quickly. Each time I see 'HRV' I immediately think of Hormone Replacement Verapy. ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP