heat recovery ventilation

I've been trying to interest the boss in a whole house heat recovery unit for the old coach house we occupy as offices. Bearing in mind 15 of us lounge about there most of the day and manage to consume 80 units of electricity with PCs, shredders, kettles, microwave ovens etc and a lesser amount for gas I was a little surprised at the potential for savings compared with the other measures I've taken ( 65mm celotex drylining,

100+65mm celotex warm roof insulation. 50mm celotex under floor screed and new DG throughout).

From my initial workings:

I need 36000litres/person/hr which is about 45kg/person/hr with an average difference in temperature from ambient of 10C and 15 people in occupation for around 10 hours I make that 18.75kWhr(t) needed to heat incoming fresh air with a cost of about GBP0.65625. Even if I get 50% of that heat back I'm not going to make much of a dent in our energy spend.

Have I made a wrong assumption or mistake?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

In message , andrew writes

Don't ask me!

50% recovery is low compared to the claims by Vent Axia et al.

Aren't you already ventilating at your estimate but without recovery so anything above ambient is wasted?

I put a small system in Angela's rented flat last Summer. This was to overcome a condensation and mould issue. No complaints from the tenants but I found it difficult to get the fan noise down to what I considered an acceptable level.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Simple answer is I don't know, doors and windows get left open and there's a lot of solar gain ATM and no heating on. Next season will be the test of the GPB3000 in insulation I have invested.

All the windows have trickle vents and on energy loss grounds I don't think I can justify the heat recovery unit. Noise is probably not a concern.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I have had whole house heat recovery ion last 2 builds .... if you want to know what it is like to live with to install, running costs etc. .... drop me a PM

Alternatively to significantly cut your costs get rid of some of the 15.

Reply to
Rick Hughes