heat exchanger in coal fire chimney

I remember some discussion on this some time ago though I can't find it on google - possibly a sub-thread on a related topic.

Question is - did anybody do it and did it work ? Any advice for others considering it ?

Thanks

G&M

I've read that you get a build up on crap on the exchanger, though this doesnt strike me as a showstopper, you just use twice the size of exchanger.

Cooling the exhaust will also reduce the updraught, so you may need to have a fan as well. Chimney heat exchange always struck me as a potentially sensible idea, especially considering you can get heat exchangers from scrapyards for next to nada, and it costs very little to add it during build.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

You can ? What should I be asking/looking for ?

Reply to
G&M

Industrial heating and cooling units use large heat exchangers, and land in scrappies when the systems are changed. If you know what a heat exchanger looks ilke, you'll spot them instantly.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton