Health and softy gone mad

"Christmas crackers not to be sold to people under the age of 12" - three months imprisonment for letting a kid make a popping noise - a heftier punishment than selling spray paint to someone under 16 so they can vandalise things, which only carries a fine.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Also Poppy sellers cannot give the pins to customers, though it is OK if they help themselves from a pile. Barmy!

Reply to
Broadback

I'd never noticed that. I've always seen the poppy and pin as one thing (I think), although they may be sat in a box for customers to take.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Well obviously getting pricked by 5 at once is far safer....

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

A colleague of mine was once refused alcohol in a supermarket because his daughter was with him and he "might give it to her as they leave the shop". The supermarket was rewarded with a newspaper article :-)

AFAIK that's not even illegal - you can give your kids alcohol at home. Or is there some pedantry that you can't give them it unless they're indoors? Maybe sunlight and alcohol together is more harmful?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

ricted-products

months imprisonment for letting a kid make a popping noise - a heftier pun ishment than selling spray paint to someone under 16 so they can vandalise things, which only carries a fine.

but that's not really what it says, it says "12 and over" which is even mor e worrying as you can't seel them to anyone over 12 and it's the same for a ll...

I would hasve thought the legislation would be 12 or under is whn it kicks in.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I never noticed that. It seems they have a very poor grasp of the English language. As you said, you're restricted from selling them to 12 and over, so adults must not buy crackers. I wonder if that would hold up in a court of law?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

What makes you believe that?

I haven't seen any poppy sellers not including the pins.

Reply to
Alex Heney

Yes what is the reason for this? I don't much like crackers, but there does seem to be little to be afraid of, unless the jokes are x rated, mind you the writers of said jokes must surely be the sadest people on the planet.

Can young children buy candles and matches? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

They could when I were a lad. I once set fire to..... I'd better not admit that.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

We have the situation where shops can't/won't sell you more than two items of paracetamol. You can buy 1 pack of 30 tablets, but not 3 packs of 10 tablets.

Reply to
Davey

Reading your posts gives me a headache too - so I'm not surprised.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Information overload, I go into so much complicated intricate detail.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

One consequence of this process is that a product called Nitromors, which is used to strip paint off of car parts before restoration and repainting or replating them, has had its formula f....d with so as to emasculate it. I believe this was due to some European Directive. The beneficial effects of this change may be real, but are tiny, whereas the inconvenience to the hobbyist user is huge.

Here we are:

Davey

We can still get it here if you know where and which processes it is legal for.

Reply to
F Murtz

'Here' being where? Somewhere in the Land of President Sturgeon?

Although I am not looking for old-fashioned Nitromors myself, I have no need of it.

Reply to
Davey

Here being Australia and not nitromoors, but the Dichloromethane

Reply to
F Murtz