Health and softy for dishwashers

Placing single items takes 10 times longer than placing groups of 10.

I never did dry. Isn't that what the draining basket on the draining board was for?

Agreed, which is why I was surprised anyone did any different.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

No, ours isn't like that. It's around the same size overall as yours, but has two top pieces which make a grid into which you drop the cutlery. It was a little awkward at first since previous dishwashers were like yours but it's not so bad now and actually quiten handy when getting them out.

Reply to
cl

Did you miss the 'but' in my comment above? I wasn't saying it was quicker than just chucking them in willy-nilly, I just said (in comparison with the general time it take to load and unload a dishwasher) it's still pretty quick.

Apparently. ;-)

If you only have the bunchy basket thing than I'm guessing you don't really have the choice.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You've just reminded me, I think mine actually had a flip down piece like that, which I removed and discarded as it didn't make any sense. Easiest thing in the world to use it without, you place 10 items of cutlery in each section, business end up. Then take them all out together after the wash. Nothing could be simpler.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I wouldn't call having to do 10 times as many things "very quick".

Were you told you must dry?

Surely if I had the little holes I'd have to do it business end up. You can't get the business end through the holes.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Like I said, it's got to be taken in context. It wasn't a measurement of time per-se, it was the suggestion that it didn't take very long.

Yes. You *can* use the draining board to 'dry' (rather than just drain) stuff, but it's often quicker to dry it by hand. Like it is generally quicker to dry stuff in a TG than to just peg it on a line oustside or on a horse inside, especially if you are in a hurry and consider all conditions.

Correct? *IF you only have the bunchy basket thing* you don't have the choice of having them held individually?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes. Simpler would be to just chuck them all in one basket but every stage between that and having them held individually will give you the cleaning range from 'lucky dip' to 'perfect every time'. (because a fork isn't sitting inside a spoon etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Trouble is that the grid holes are not circular, so you have to watch that when you pull something out, it doesn't catch and pull the lid off. Also the lid (top piece) is getting very ratty now after 5 years of me having no patience with it.

Thass why when we get the kitchen redone, we're gonna get a new DW with a top tray for the cutlery.

Reply to
Tim Streater

10 at a time works fine. They shuffle about with the water jets anyway. If you had no dividers, they wouldn't stay upright, then they would stick together.
Reply to
Mr Macaw

Why not just remove the offending lid like I did?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I have the cutlery basket on one of the kitchen benches and put the cutlery from the current meal in the basket after each meal. So there is no separate loading of the basket before starting the dishwasher.

Reply to
hgww

That approach does keep the individual items more separate so in theory should see less food remain between the cutlery items at the end of the wash.

And with a removable lid you can use it whichever way you like if you find that you hardly ever get any food not removed when you don't bother with the lids.

Reply to
hgww

I dunno, 'all that needs doing' probably? Basically I think the DW gets used every day or when full (whichever is the longer).

It doesn't.

Sorry, a TD. ;-)

Quite.

No, I think I do like you

Yup.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or happen to have cutlery that doesn't get stuck? ;-)

Cheers, T i m.

Reply to
T i m

Replying to nothing is a sign of insanity.

Reply to
Mr Macaw