Health and Safety and Sky Installers

Yes, It's Amazon what you can learn here. I can't see and Rhine or reason why any Seine person would go anywhere else. It may sound Volga, but Tees are Dee reasons I like this group (he Parreted)

Reply to
pete

pete gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Wye?

Reply to
Adrian

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk... : On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:31:52 +0100, Cash wrote: :

: : > and this was just over 7ft off the floor! : : Far enough to break things if you fall and possibly kill if certain : bits of you bounce of objects on the way down.

FFS, one can break a leg or even be killed by simply failing over, if you are that worried then being in a trade that REQUIRES the use of ladders is a big mistake!

: : > Health and Safety gone a little crazy, but I suppose in this litigious : > age, these companies must protect their over-inflated bottoms. : : Maybe it also reflects the quality of the people they employ for this : work, the pressure they are under (must do 6 installs/day or : whatever) combined with lack of proper training, (which includes a : week being supervised by someone with real experience), in doing the : actual work. :

The real problem is that H&S has, over the last 35 years, caused the loss of much common sense in the UK - you do not (necessarily) need training in safety if one has common sense.

Reply to
Jerry

Wonder how long it will be before my window cleaner demands scaffolding around the house for his safety.

Reply to
Corporal Jones

This is Solent-ertaining

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Ronald Raygun saying something like:

Could be going for a slash.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember HappyHunter saying something like:

The bloke was an arse.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "js.b1" saying something like:

And this is relevant, how?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Nightjar

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Indeed. The thought of falling off a ladder scares the s*1t out of me, so I am especially careful when using one. Ladder stay, base stabiliser, keep to the rules - common sense.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Are you trying to say my comment was too oblique?

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Ronald Raygun saying something like:

Might be rather throwing the point.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have an abseling device that clamps onto the rope, and allows me to descend when I press a lever. That means that I normally have both hands free, and can descend easily without help from anybody else. I can't see the problem. I'd rather an almost non-existent risk of suspension trauma than falling down from eight metres from my roof on to concrete.

Reply to
Matty F

But you are already dangling on the rope rather than just having a system to stop you hitting the ground at all or too hard.

Assuming you are conscious, that assumption cannot be made for fall arrest systems. Maybe you fell and are knocked out 'cause you got an electric shock or hit by something swinging from a crane.

You also know what you are doing with and on the end of a rope. Unlike the average worker who is told to put a harness on and attach themselves with a fall arrest something. Have you ever watched some one put on a harness when they haven't been shown that particular one? Many people don't do 'em up tight enough either so they may partially or completely fall out of it. The of course the fall arrest thing may have an extended length greater than the fall but not many people check that either.

There is an awful lot of tick box arse covering. Worker at height, must wear harness , must have fall arrest rope , job done. What about training in use of the equipment? What about suitability of the fall arrest equipment for that particular situation? What about the anchor point(s)?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice