#*?#@?!! health and bloody safety

All blinds come with cleats or chain loops these days to prevent kids hanging themselves. On a £10 Argos blind they are a waste of time, the slightest force would break the flimsy chain or the equally flimsy mechanism, or snap the cardboard tube.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Which, since there are no children in this house, I throw away.

Reply to
Huge

It's called "coomon sense" that is becoming anything but common.

Health & Safety is positive feed back loop. The more you protect people from their own stupidity the less they are aware of hazards so you need more Health & Safety to protect them from their own stupidity...

Any "cord" has the abilty to strangle from the umbilical cord as No.1 Daughter attempted to demostrate, onwards.

Is it not "common sense" to a) tell small chidren that puting things around their neck is not a good idea and for the really littlies removing it when they do. b) remove or place out of reach hanging down loops of cord etc when small children are present.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Elf and safety? may be you should make helmets mandatory to use a ladder.

F Murtz

I knew someone that died this way at 16. He was pratting about exiting through the window, maybe trying to imitate a 70s cop series. I was never clear how he ended up being strangled by the cord, but he was.

Last one I saw used a smaller plastic pulley for the tails than the blind, nothing ever need reach the floor.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's more than a couple of cutting edge cases, though. It's two avoidable deaths a year on average. You should not have a non-working product, but it's wrong to deny that there's an issue that the non-working-ness is trying very badly to address.

We had far fewer of these sorts of blinds IIRC a few decades ago. But more recently we've been 'managing' with two funerals a year.

Reply to
GB

An annual cull, maybe?

Reply to
GB

I am not wholly convinced - I recall plenty of roller blinds when I was a kid.

Whilst any death is sad, if you wanted to solve a problem, you'd start with the roads as there are 1000s of deaths each year.

With blinds, I rather feel it would be more useful to put in a bit of red printed paper and a self adhesive hook that reminds people that blind chains can choke tiny kids and to either shorten the chain out of reach or hang out of reach when not in use.

It's very hard to make a breakaway device that will give way when perhaps 10lbs of kid is hanging off it and yet does not break when you need to give it a stiff tug. I think it's a doomed exercise.

Plastic bags kill - and they have warnings which reminds people who don't think without causing problems for those who do.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The ones we had used a single fairly short cord in the middle. That is a lot safer than the cords from a venetian blind or the type you are talking about.

It is just about conceivable that somebody has done an analysis to see which is more cost effective.

Yes, you really need to start with a blind mechanism that runs pretty freely, yet stays put the rest of the time. Clearly, shortening the chain is a good option for the time being, though.

Reply to
GB

That one is much harder to do something about and has been started with anyway, particularly with child seats in cars.

That approach has the problem that it is so easy to forget to do it.

It shouldn?t be hard to do one that is easy to put back together if the stiff tug sees it come apart.

Because there is no practical alternative.

Reply to
Jacko

Not enough. Slightly more than 3 new people are born every second. For a long time I've been suggesting a 'Stop the Children' fund, but I can see that the idea is unappealing so my cause is hopeless.

Reply to
Windmill

There is, bags of platic netting. No suffocation risk.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No.

No use for keeping new stuff pristine.

Sure, but no use for keeping what is inside it pristine.

Reply to
Jacko

They choke on them instead.

Reply to