Header Tank Height

What are the rules to take into account when siting a header tank for a conventional pumped CH system. I haven't been able to find any hard and fast guidelines .

I have had problems with heated towel radiators and tall bathroom rads that don't get hot at the top and wondering if this is due to height of header tank.

ALl other rads work fine.

The distance from the water level in the tank to the top of the tallest radiator is approx 1 metre.

Would this be sufficient ? I have 13 rads and 2 heated towel rails (heated off hot water circuit)

ANy advice welcome.

Reply to
paul_j_tomlinson

Have you tried bleeding the radiators?

Should be fine.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That should be plenty of 'head'. My header tank is slightly less that one metre above my two highest radiators. They are always the ones that accumulate the most air.

If you want to experiment, try attaching a piece of clear poly pipe to your highest radiator and see how high you have to raise the open end in order to stop the water from over-flowing. This will then indicate the water height in your header tank. Oh, turn the pump off first and don't scald yourself.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

Provided you managed to bleed the rads until water came out, you are fine, although limited head can cause other problems, like pumping over, in some situations. It is possible that your system needs balancing. If other rads are stealing all the hot water, some rads may not got hot all the way up.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That's enough head, but you might have problems if the feed pipe from it goes 'uphill' or has a long horizontal run. I'd expect the expansion pipe would have to go quite a bit higher before curving down to the tank, though, to avoid pumping over.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)