HCl and plastics

Hi

I plan to use HCl on a shower head - dont know what kind of plastic it is though, makes it hard to look up whether it'll be happy with the HCl. Any ideas?

Cheers, NT

Reply to
bigcat

Without checking my stuff at work, I can't offhand think of any normal structural plastic which will have any trouble with HCl at room temperature. You weren't planning to boil it for 24 hours were you?

Reply to
Newshound

If all you want to do is descale it then dilute (say 5%) HCl will not attack any likely plastic, but keep it well away from any plated parts - it will dissolve chromium or aluminium. On the other hand, kettle descaler wil also work and is a lot safer.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

thank you :) Hehe, no I've found healthier ways to take my frustrations out ;)

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Polypropylene was the pipe material of choice for concentrated (36%) HCl and many other acids in the process industry. IIRC one of the trade mags Process Today or some such title used to give a free chemical/corrosion resistance chart away with their new year issue each year. A copy of such a chart might be a useful addition to the FAQ if someone can get hold of a current one.

Reply to
John

Right then, hands up all those setting up a diy chemical plant in your back garden.....

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

I've always found citric pretty useless. At best it might get a thin film off, I need to remove a goodly crust :)

Thanks, NT

Reply to
bigcat

Sulphamic (as in Fernox descaler) is powerful but as easy to handle as citric. IME the speed of descaling is not increased by acid strength. Overnight in either acid works just as well.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

HCl acid removal is instant,

Reply to
bigcat

Reply to
John Cartmell

Job done, it looks miles better now. Thank you to all!

PS can it be used on astroturf sinks as well?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

No, I meant the type of acid. I don't personally like using hydrochloric because I'm a pansy

Reply to
Stuart Noble