having work done / building regualtions

For the very 1st time I'm going to have some one in to do some work. Cue lots of disatisfaction, but that aside, how can I be sure they will comply with Building Regs? Hopefully the answer is not have inspector in, but if it is how much does that typically cost?

Work is installing a fireplace. I'm doing the chimney mods. It'll be traditional fireplace capable of solid fuel but will be gas living flame.

They came for a survey and said the existing floor boarded floor - I'd years back extended in to the chimney breast - was okay to leave with the granite hearth on top. I'm not so sure...

Also am I correct in saying that the pot opening has to be at least 600mm above ridge, since it is less than 2300mm horizontal from ridge.

Any other words of advice/caution appreciated!

TIA

Reply to
VisionSet

Go to the

website and look for "Part J" in the regulations.

Reply to
BigWallop

You have it explicitly written into the contract that the work will be compliant with Building Regs, that the contractor is responsible for all plans and specifications, for making the application and that the BC fees are included in the contractor's fixed price.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Constructional hearth to comply with latest regs, projecting at least 20" out from grate and 6" either side of fire opening. For a log type fire it has to be at least 5" thick and not have combustible material directly touching the underside, but I don't think that applies for a gas living flame type fire.

The superimposed hearth ( the nice bit that goes on top ofthe constructional hearth ) to project at least 12" out from grate, and at least 6" either side of fire opening, or to the width of the fire surround if that is greater. Must be at least 2" thick. Bed on 1:4 cement mortar.

The room that the fire is in must have IIRC an opening to the outside or other rooms at least 10x10cm for ventilation. I'm guessing a bit on that one. Anyway it's to ensure that the fire is not starved of air in a well sealed room. Be careful if you go for a dedicated vent where it is positioned, as at least some of the air feeding the fire will come out of that vent,and if it is cold and has to drift acrosss the room to get to the fire it will cause a draft.

I also seem to recall that an old unlined chimney is not sufficient for a gas fire, and you will need a stainless steel liner, probably 5" across or suchlike : installing one isn't cheap. I check this all out if I were you and not take my word for it. Again, also AFAICR solid fuel does not require a liner, it is merely a good idea to check the integrity of your chimney with a smoke pellet.

Not sure, but read a book on chimneys saying that they ought to be higher than the roof ridge as adverse pressure effects can occur in certain wind conditions causing the fireplace to coughsmoke back into the room.

I don't expect you're feeling any happier after hearing all that :-)

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece