Have you got Record V175 vice?

I've not used the vice on my workbench in the garage for years but on doing so I discovered that it closes fine, but when you open the jaws the threaded shaft that the handle attaches to just come out of the front.

On examining the mechanism I can see that there is a groove going all the way round the shaft and a big washer that's still there. I reckon there must have been something fitting into the groove to allow the shaft to push agains the front jaw to when the vice is opened and that is what's missing.

Is it a large circlip that missing? I wonder if anyone could look at their vice and advise me

Thanks

Reply to
JWM

Its a circlip, lost one of my Record wood vice while back,

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

A 1 1/2 " oval should suffice IIRC back to the dark daies of yore.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Sadly, my cheapo Chinese imitation one has the opposite problem: the screw thread has worn away inside the fixed jaw, so it is just a paper weight now. Sad.

spamlet

Thanks for those responses

Looks like it's about 14mm in diameter so I've ordered a variety box of circlips from Ebay!

Reply to
JWM

My name is Derek and would be grateful for some advice I have the circlip mentioned above but I am unsure when you put it back in the record vice does it go in front or behind the large flat washer on the threaded vice handle Thank you

Reply to
jasaphfive

it captures the washer betwixt the thread and jaw.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Hi. Not sure if this will go anywhere! I've the same problem. Is this a 13mm or 14mm E-clip that I need, please?

Reply to
carnegie

Before replying to an 11 year old post from a broken website, please read and digest this:

Fredxx

Ooh-er. You published a link to a very dubious website!

--

"The Communists are further reproached with desiring to abolish countries and nationality."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

What? Just because it's running over plain HTTP?

I don't really see the issue with that - it's just a wiki with public information. I know that some browsers try to warn people about it though.

Reply to
Caecilius

I think you missed the point.

CD was referring to the HOH link, not the wiki one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oh yes, I'd assumed it was the DIY wiki http link, not the HOH one.

Reply to
Caecilius