Have I upset Screwfix?

Page 2 of 2
(Fingers crossed - got an order in for

email:
"We thought you would like to know that the order you placed on 18 February 2004 was quality checked and packed at 7:48 pm on 18 February 2004 and is now on its way to you via ANC"
So it's down to ANC now...
Rod

Don't wish to dishearten you, but the only delivery which failed to reach me next day, was one where ANC was the courier. All my other deliveries via Parcel Farce (yes, I know) where delivered on time.
An order placed with Toolstation on Thursday, again despatched to ANC, arrived Tuesday, after they insisted that they tried to deliver on Monday and had no reply, so they left a card. My wife is housebound!! No card, and definitely no attempt at delivery.
Screwfix gives you a tracking option with ANC. When I checked with them, and pasted my tracking number into their website, it brought up an invoice dated last November, made out to a company in Gloucester. (Probably a violation of the Data Protection Act). The following day, the same tracking number showed my parcel as "Missing".
Scewfix told me that ANC's tracking system was "not to be trusted". I think the same can be said of their service in general. Pity screwfix and others have yet to catch on.
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:02:22 -0000, "Mick Partridge"

So WTF are they using them?
The delivery industry seems to think that it can get away with lying and cheating when something is lost or they run out of time to deliver.
I gave up using "best efforts", "usually next day" services some while ago, and just pay extra for timed delivery. This does seem to result in a higher success rate of receiving goods on time and if the extra cost reduces the amount of time taken titting around securing delivery then it's worth it AFAICS. If the delivery doesn't happen on time, the charge is refunded which covers the cost of chasing.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Have had nothing but hassle with all goods delivered by ANC, including several from Screwfix. They're online tracking system is a complete joke. When it works. And when it does it seems to churn up something different each time.
Tim..

Just one problem - broken! Freud router - bits of plastic rattling around in the box. Poor packaging by Freud, no additional help by Screwfix (thin plastic outer). Box obviously damaged - but you can't see that until you open the plastic wrapper.
Screwfix offered to pick it up on Monday - and then send another one out. Not happy - Why should I have to wait 5 days extra? Anyway they did agree to send out a new one to arrive on Monday.
Apparently in some parts of the country they are trialling a "pick up and drop off" system for replacements - can't happen too soon.
Makes a change - I am with you all on ANC - they usually mess up the delivery rather than damaging the goods.
Rod

If I "need" something that urgently I'll go buy it so I have it in my hand.
If I want something "soon" I'll use Screwfix, don't give me a third degree over delivering to work not home etc.
Order at 2.00am if I like and I can see what I want without trying to not look a diyer at the unfriendly local "merchants" when they pretend to not know what you want. ;-)
Mark S.

I ordered on Tuesday for some work I was aiming to do the next Saturday. The delivery finally arrived the Monday after and was simply refused and returned. (We'd bought what we needed from a local plumbers merchant instead, a bit more expensive but needs must) I have to say that BES didn't quibble about the return and my payment was credited in full.
This I will continue to use BES but no mail-order supplier is perfect as they all have to depend on imperfect delivery companies.
My experience of ScrewFix is (still) better than BES but we have a good ParcelForce depot locally.
--
Chris Green

<worthy-of-me rant snipped :)>

Their current financial postings have been mentioned elsewhere, and on the news today they were full of the joys of Kingfisher profits, so I'd be right onto the top brass and complaining, particularly given the short shrift we've received from B&Q with regard to their shoddy pine doors that leave a lot to be desired.
We've been waiting for a solution to our warped door problem since christmas and should hopefully have the bits I need this week but I'm not holding up much hope. Normally I'd be up in arms and demanding pre-finished and painted doors to arrive but those would be the 4th pair and I'm sick of waiting.
At least the local warehouse is 5 minutes up the road, and if I need fast plumbing stuff there's a merchant almost round the corner, though some of their staff leave a lot to be desired too :-/
I s'pose at the end of the day you get what you pay for.......
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:09:50 +0000, Witchy

You do, but I have found with B&Q that if you have had unreasonable hassle (e.g. more than one return visit with faulty product) then Go to the returns desk and ask to see the duty manager. Take him off to one side away from employees and other customers. Tell him that you are a good customer and show him receipts for anything you've purchased in the last few months to establish level of spend. Be pleasant and simply say that under the circumstances you feel that it would be reasonable for some compensation for your trouble.
Some vouchers are often forthcoming.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

You're right - in this case some gentle persuasion led them round to my way of thinking which saved money on all counts, though why I was doing them favours leaves a lot to be discussed. It's also a case in point when you know a lot of the returns and service desk staff and they know you! Hmm. I also know the timber people too....dammit, I'm spending too much time there!
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:25:04 +0000, Witchy

Exactly. It comes down to figuring out where the person's discretion is and using that to achieve a desired result.
If you use somewhere like B&Q regularly, then some vouchers or a store credit are an acceptable recompense.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I have used Screwfix regularly, so maybe they will play dice. But then again.....
I am considering phoning my credit card company to cancel the transaction - Screwfix have charged me for something they didn't deliver (the fast delivery option), and delivered half what I wanted. Credit card cancellation charges from the card companies do hurt.
PoP
-----
My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk
I apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Is there an alternative company like screwfix? I havent come across one yet.
Re service standards, its often the way that a business tries extra hard during its market share gaining time, then once its really busy, its busy, and you dont get much of a look in.
Regards, NT

Toolstation(.com) - a lot of the same stock as Screwfix but generally even cheaper, but not such a wide range
John Stumbles wrote:

Quite like them but they do tend to concentrate on the smaller and cheaper end of the market. Seems quite like an early days ScrewFix, hardly surprising when the original directors seem so closely related. It seems that SF is slowly morphing into 'B&Q-Online' aarghh!
So a few alternate suppliers to cover all needs BES, TLC, CPC and Jewsons (but using the much more friendly pricelists from TP)
Clearing the psychological barrier and being comfortable shopping at the Jewsons counter is a great help; free coffee, witty repartee?, hit & miss pricing (solution: nah that's too much - oh ok knock off 35% - that's more like it)
Best time to go is before work on a weekday, then have a shave etc when you get to the office.
--
Toby.

wrote

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I had a look at toolstation, and their prices are better but a lot of things lacked basic necessary information. I dont know what quality their stuff is yet, I'll find out.
TLC strikes me as pricey on most things, but not all.
Regards, NT
"PoP" wrote | I'm thinking about setting up a ScrewfixSux web site
Looking at the closeness of i and u on the keyboard and the number of times they are probably mistyped anyway, you might as well register screwfux.com (I haven't checked if it's still available).
Also you wouldn't be including the screwfix word in your website name so less danger of a passing-off or libel action.
Owain
I no longer use Screwfix. they never deliver on time and always miss items on the order. it's b&q in disguise. it did used to be a good company.