Have Drayton, the heating control and valve people, gone out of business?

I have a Drayton Tempus One controller, fitted some 12 years ago. I just did a quick search on the web but could not find any mention of the company.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Lots of take overs... but I find lots of links when plugging "+drayton

+tempus" (without the quotes) into Google. Might help if you tell us why your looking for the company.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have a look at Invensys

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Mike Mitchell writes

Now called ACL Drayton, part of Invensys and can be found at

Tim Mitchell

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:11:05 +0100, Mike Mitchell strung together this:

Lurch

My Tempus 1 is the "old" style, about 12 - 14 years old. Since I sent that first post this morning I, too, have found Invensys and downloaded the Tempus 1 pdf. However, this relates only to the latest model which is different from mine.

My problem is setting the on/off times. I cannot set any preferred combination of the two on/off times that the programmer will accept. Either the ON1 and OFF2 flash alternately, or I just cannot step the OFF2 time past 10:00 pm (I push the button, the time flashes, but doesn't increment). I seem to recall that it was a PITA to set the times anyway, which is why I haven't adjusted them for years. Then, yesterday morning, I thought I'd change the early morning setting to come on later and go off earlier, as it is so much warmer these days, and since then the only combination I have been able to set that is, kind of, acceptable to me (and what the programmer will accept) is ON1

5:20 am, OFF1 6:00 am, ON2 9:50 pm, OFF2 10:00 pm, with the mode select set to "Twice".

But it would be really nice to be able to read that ruddy instruction booklet which I've lost! I suspect that the programmer may be broken, but how does a solid-state device get broken?!!

Does anyone have a Tempus 1 booklet for the model of roughly anno

1990-ish vintage (maybe a bit earlier than that even)?

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Do bear in mind that the current Tempus 1 is a completely different animal to the earlier model, which is probably the one you have - the newer model is white rather than brown/mushroom. I had the earlier model Tempus 7, and when it packed up I fitted the later model. I liked it so much, I installed one when we moved house a couple of years ago. Maybe you should treat yourself!

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

The 1 sort of indicates this is a single channel device for the heating only? If it's a two channel jobbie, ie does both HW and CH is it in "gravity" mode and therefore won't let you set CH times that are outside the HW times. Just a thought, I've been caught by that before now.

Well it's a micro controller maybe it's "confused" rather than "broken". Is there a "reset" to factory defaults hole anywhere. Or you could try removing all power to it for a few minutes. Has it battery backup, though that might just keep the clock running.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, it's for heating only. This is a Servowarm-installed system, with a mechanical valve in the airing cupboard to switch between hot water and heating or a partial setting at any stage between. I think you could be right that the programmer is stopping me from setting the OFF2 time for a reason (rather than being broken), because I can remember reading somewhere that it wouldn't allow a time before midnight (i.e. yesterday) to be set.

However, the kind folks at Invensys are in the process of sending me a printout of the instruction manual! I am getting a very good response from their custmer service.

It does have a battery, although this is a really strange thing: the product is at least 12 years old and I have never replaced the battery! In fact, the battery must be buried deep inside it somewhere, because there is no access flap to it from the outside. I assume it's the kind of battery that is fitted to PCs to have them maintain their date/timestamp for years. If I unplug the programmer (It's fed from a

3-pin plug - that's how they installed it before I bought the house!), it doesn't kill the display, so the battery is obviously still working.

In any case, I now realise that if it is broken, a new replacement is only about 30 quid, so it's not quite the horror story I initially envisaged.

Thanks for the feedback.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell