Has the Corgi chap done this propery

A Corgi registered chap has just run a pipe from my new gas-meter to the kitchen and fitted a bayonet fixing for a cooker. There are some things I'm worried about - can anyone confirm or allay my fears...

a) At the meter end, he's soldered the outlet connection (i.e. it's not demountable); is this acceptable?

b) The bayonet fixing is pointing upwards - I'm sure I've read it has to point downwards (to reduce the risk of dirt getting in). On the other hand, he would have had to put an inverted 'U' in the pipework to get it pointing down - would this have been acceptable?

c) The bayonet fixing is screwed-in with white PTFE tape, not yellow. Surely this is wrong?

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Did you not ask him ?

Reply to
powerstation

|> a) At the meter end, he's soldered the outlet connection (i.e. it's not |> demountable); is this acceptable? |>

|> b) The bayonet fixing is pointing upwards - I'm sure I've read it has to |> point downwards (to reduce the risk of dirt getting in). On the other |> hand, he would have had to put an inverted 'U' in the pipework to get it |> pointing down - would this have been acceptable? |>

|> c) The bayonet fixing is screwed-in with white PTFE tape, not yellow. |> Surely this is wrong? |>

|> Cheers |>

|> Steve |Did you not ask him ?

Would he not have said *YES*, even if untrue?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

a)The gas meter will have a union connection to which he has a soldered fitting coming off it - break the union to remove the meter

b) Can't help there

c)PTFE comes in white or yellow.

HTH

Lee

Reply to
lee

And he's going to give a truthful answer?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Absolutely fine. If you need to cap the meter off then a brass disc is slipped into the outlet coupling.

No, but I need a picture to see why this was a difficulty to install. Something doesn't add up here. Normally the elbow bayonet goes into a wall plate elbow which can be supplied by a 15mm pipe from any direction. There are other way.

Suitable tape complies with BS 6974 is not necessarily coloured yellow. The stuff in my tool box and sold by screwfix isn't.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Many thanks for the help/info'. I'm trying to establish if there are problems, and to get my facts straight, before I speak to the chap.

From what you've said, it sounds like the connection to the meter is OK. And it's possible that he used white-coloured gas tape (which I can ask him about).

I think the bayonet-fixing pointing upwards is a mistake. Access is straightforward - the pipe passes through the wall at a height of about 1ft above the floor, and there is plenty of room to the side.

From a bit of research, I've found that he's fitted a (straight) Micropoint socket, as opposed to a 'traditional' 1/2" elbow one. I presume that's OK, as Micropoint cooker hoses are available. Presumably he could have mounted this pointing downwards, and I will ask him about this.

As searches have provided very little useful info' on Micropoint, I will start another thread to try to glean some info' this, as I would like to know if it's acceptable, and any pro's/con's.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The message from "Steve" contains these words:

As I understand it, they're the current standard.

Reply to
Guy King

Micro point type connections face horizontal and the plug is angled so the hose goes down.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Aha! That mean he has fitted it wrongly!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The hose should hang down in a loop without touching the floor when the appliance is in position

Reply to
powerstation