Has anyone here made a Curtal (Dulcian) or a Rackett?

If you've made one you'll know what they are :-)

I'm trying to find drawings, info, or discussion groups where makers of such things (early woodwind) hang out.

Dave

Reply to
Nospam

You might take a look at these people:

Nick Odell

of recordings, no constructrs...

weird sounds eh? very woodwind..are these twin reeds like an oboe?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for reminding me, Nick. It's time I joined them!

Reply to
Nospam

Yes, double reed. Racketts are a solid block of wood with 9 or 10 parallel holes connected to make one long hole! The holes are constant bore in renaissance Racketts and conical in Baroque ones

Reply to
Nospam

I made plenty of rackets in my time.

Reply to
grimly4

Fabulous. What a wonderful way to waste your life!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

:-) There are certainly far worse ways, such as watching people chase or hit balls of various shape, or watching other people live (waste?) their real or imaginary lives every night on a screen.

Reply to
Nospam

Oh absolutely.

I am so reminded of the Late George Harrison who appeared on the Friday of a British Grand Prix and was interviewed overt te track PA

"George, what do ou th8ink of Formula One Motor Racing"

(Cue laconic Liverpudlian drawl)

"Oi think its a the most fabulous way of wasting money".

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher