Hardening papermache

I'm apalled at how much a papermache liner for a 16" hanging basket costs in the DIY sheds - TWO QUID! so I'm determined to make one myself. I can shred and blend old paper for it, and I've got a 14" dome I can spread it over to dry, but what does anyone think will strengthen it so it will hold together for 6 months - some kind of glue or bonding agent? TIA, |FC

Reply to
freecycle

Erm! PVA mixed with water.

Wooden friut bowls last years if they're painted. ;-)

Reply to
George

Put the pva in with the paper as well as coating it a few times.

Reply to
mogga

Papier colle might be easier. But either way by the time youre done you'll wish you'd paid =A32. A more practical liner is any dark cloth.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , freecycle wrote

I've had some success with just using 2 layers of A4 printing paper (80gram). No need for any bonding agent.

I have an old stock of day-go paper (yellow) which I soak in water first. The trick is wet enough to mould to the shape of the basket but not too wet that the A4 sheet falls apart. Don't worry too much about getting any sort of smooth finish as the weight of the soil plants will do that for you.

You could probably do the same with newspaper but don't shred it too much - leave it in A4/A5 size sheets.

If the plants are to poke through the sides of the basket I first put in a double layer at the bottom of the basket to a level of around 2 inches. I then recycle a carrier bag over this to retain the water when watering in normal use. I fill to the level with soil, plant and then use 1 inch strips to build up to the next layer of planting.

If the planting is only at the top of the basket I use the full A4 sheets to cover the inside of the basket before filling with soil.

Just rip off the surplus level to the top of the basket (after filling with soil)

The printing paper is strong enough to hold the soil in place until the roots of the plants fill the basket. It is the plant roots that then keep the soil in place. The paper then just acts as a barrier to stop the water pouring straight through. At the end of the season the paper is a bit worse for wear but still virtually intact.

Day-go yellow does look OK until the plants cover the outside of the basket :)

Reply to
Alan