Hard wired smoke alarms

We've had the health and safety in at work and they are insisting on hard wired smoke alarms.

I'm unclear though as to whether we must have mains powered and interconnected ones, or whether we could get the sort that can be wired into an alarm system.

Anyone know?

Reply to
R D S

All depends. BS5839 is what counts. Have a look here:

Googling gives loads more info.

Basically, small premises are probably better off with an interlinked alarm (they are all mains powered with battery back-up), as you have got less things to go wrong, and can see where the alarm has come from (when one alarm sounds, all the others do at the same time) Medium sized businesses will likely need interlinked alarms connected to a control panel, so you can easily see where the alarm started. It is all pretty straightforward.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

------------------------------------- Hi

In the UK things have been simplified for businesses with the introduction of the Fire Risk Assessment. The business owner or a person placed in charge of fire safety MUST carry out a fire risk assessment. The assessment allows the business to make the final decision about the correct level of protection itself - Quite liberating, really. On the other hand, get it wrong and you are in trouble if somebody gets injured in a fire. However, there is plenty of help at hand. The government has created a few help guides aimed at different type of businesses (the help guides and some general info about fire risk assessments can be found on

).

Back to your question, do you really need to have hard wired alarms as a small business? It is your decision! As long as you can ensure that every area of your business is covered, that everybody can hear the alarms and that there is no risk of the system going down etc, it is your choice (some exceptions in hotels etc apply). Consider also wether the fire brigade will be easily able to determine where the fire is (in large premises you will need a panel for this purpose).

We for example use battery operated radio-interlinked alarms all through the premises. The alarms have sealed ten year batteries. The units can also act as repeater which gives you a pretty large area covered.

Make sure that your firedoors are kept open with accoustically operated fire door retainers, though, as obviously you will not have a central panel to trigger the closing of fire doors.

Harry

Reply to
HarryDE

Oh goody, another web forum interface to usenet!

That said, your actual reply is certainly helpful, but why not join the party properly?

Andy Burns

The problem as I see it is the proliferation of Safety Inspection companies some of which dont have a clue. Too many individuals seem to have adopted the role of what if police. the real government H&S organisationt may be able to give you guidance as to the actual requirements of the law or point you to the relevant legislation.

Reply to
cynic

The H&S fella who came round and the fire officer have their knickers in a twist because there is a guy living in a flat upstairs.

They are insisting on hard wired interconneted alarms, which I don't mind fitting.

Thing is I have a spare alarm panel and it would be easier and cheaper for me to fit this and some 12V smoke detectors.

But I can't get a straight answer out of the fire officer as to whether this would be OK.

Reply to
R D S