Hard Leather

Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch

Reply to
Kipper at sea

No. Sorry. But if anyone comes up with a good idea I might try it on my Scarpa walking boots which seem to have set solid.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner

Probably a couple of quid cheaper elsewhere

I find that it also works well with tight fitting shoes. Apply, wait 10 minutes for it to sink in and then wear the shoes for a an hour

Reply to
alan

That sounds just the job with the tight-fitting feature being the clincher. These boots only just fit - ie the thickness of the socks makes all the difference between fitting and not fitting - when they are supple so introducing a bit of give would be brilliant.

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Nixwax liquid can help - but I'm not sure if it's the best in this case. Sorted out a stiff old boots though.

Reply to
Tim Watts

As others have said, neatsfoot oil.

Available online from many suppliers, though I bought my last bottle from the local leatherworker. Not cheap, but you don't need a lot.

Reply to
John Williamson

piss,

S'wot the pongos used to do i've heard, pee a few times on your new boots and they are soft and supple in no time.

in civvy street you might get away with that better if your old, people will just think your incontinent.

Reply to
Gazz

Saddle soap and a proprietary saddle treatment from an equine supplies

Reply to
Nthkentman

Lanolin. Hard to find these days. I'm using a stash of past-its-sellby nipple cream, for which I didn't pay anything like list price.

You might also look into "British Museum leather dressing", which is basically lanolin with a better solvent added. Not too hard to mix up.

Neatsfoot etc. won't do much to soften leather that's already hard.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Old Git

I find several applications of Carr's Leather Dressing works. Let it soak in, then wear the boots/shoes for increasing periods each day. Don't overdo it at first, no point in skinning a heel or toe. After it's done, a good belting of saddle soap and get stuck in with the polish after that's dry. Lovely.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Lasses in Yorkshire get a bit sore?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Found on Wikipaedia (so it must be true!)

Frank Erskine