hard drive magnets

What an excellent idea, thank you. Consider it gratefully stolen.

Reply to
Huge

Quite so.

The "best" example of that being when I dropped one of the bolts holding the cesspit pump together. Into the cesspit.

I went and bought another. God bless Anglian Fastenings.

Reply to
Huge

I use a nice little strong magnet on the end of a telescopic rod (rather like a radio aerial). Standard item from some tool shops, and pretty cheap.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yup. Thats what I lost..took a scrap £3 model motor to recover it..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

i've not seen it but I have read that you can do nice tricks when you move them near a piece of copper (or oethr conductor). Drop such a magnet down inside a copper tube, or beside a copper sheet, and it falls very slowly because the eddy currents it induces as it falls.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

I also have recently stripped a faulty HD Drive (did you keep the nice screws?). I used one to magnetize one of my posidrive screwdrivers. I can't think of any other uses, at the moment.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Not forgetting to attach a sticker to the side and write "anti-limescale device" on it, or it'll never work...

David

Reply to
Lobster

They got used as stocking fillers a couple of Christmas's ago (CPC had them on offer at 80p each, or some such;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's right. My 10 year old got one, along with various other tools..

Reply to
Bob Eager

So where would you get gadolinium from? Couldn't see any at Screwfix.

Would they be strong enough to produce magnetic phosphenes?

Reply to
Rod

You get curved (parenthesis shaped I suppose) rare earth (neodymium iron boron) magnets in the voice coil. Handy for stringing cables round the lab in work as we've got steel framed partition walls.

just used a pair of much smaller ones to stop the letterbox banging in the wind - a decent hold shut even with a 2mm gap in between them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster saying something like:

No, to make sure it works you must post the twenty quid to me and I'll send you a leaflet telling you it works.

That way you get the full buying experience.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon