Hard Disk crash - rebuild with vista?

Reply to
John Stumbles

But not AMD64 by the look of it.

But do you have a Realplayer, acroread, or flash 8 or 9?

No thanks - I'm a KDE weenie ;-) But it looks like they've got kde in the repository, so that's OK.

The problem AIUI is that the shrink-wrapped stuff expects certain libraries and if Shrink-wrap Inc doesn't do a version of their app for AMD64 the workaround is to install the IA32 version along with IA32 libs in a chrooted environment. I wouldn't expect to get that problem with the solaris distro because you probably can't get even the 32-bit versions for it :-) Looks like Nexenta's equivalent workaround is BrandZ "Allows to run Linux userland".

BTW I hope the distro is more stable than the wibble - try following the 'homepage' link from

!

Anyway the vmware version looks worth a spin - thanks for the pointer!

Reply to
John Stumbles

Are you sure? AFAIK, Sun's "intel" servers are AMD.

Why would you want this piece of spyware? It lasted about 10 seconds on my XP machine before I deleted it. There are alternatives.

Yes, yes and yes, respectively.

(Posting from a Sun Ultra60 running Solaris 10)

Reply to
Huge

Now that was about the worst bit of software that Microsoft wrote!...

Reply to
tony sayer

This AMD64 system has been running Solaris x86/x64 in 64 bit mode since I bought it in October 2004.

I don't keep up to date with these things as I don't use them. Realplayer -- don't know Acroread -- I use an old version, but I think there's a newer one, but probably not the latest. There are several non-adobe ones. Flashplayer 9 is available for Solaris in beta from adobe.

Solaris x86 kernel runs in 64 bit mode if you have a 64 bit capable CPU, or 32 bit mode otherwise. The 64 bit kernel runs

32 and 64 bit applications completely transparently (and without any form of emulation). All applications must come in 32 bit mode (or they won't run on 32 bit only CPUs), but they can also come in 64 bit mode if they can benefit from it. All libraries come in both 32 and 64 bit mode.

BrandZ is a Zone (a Solaris containment mechanism a bit like BSD jails, but much more fully featured) into which is installed a Linux system minus kernel, rather than another Solaris system as is the case with normal Zones. A BrandZ Zone then also provides an alternate syscall layer into the Solaris kernel which provides the same interface as a Linux kernel, rather than the standard Solaris syscall layer.

However, Nexenta is a Solaris distribution in which the userland is all Debian rather than Solaris anyway, so you probably won't need to use BrandZ for anything except binaries which are supplied only for Linux.

I have done lots of work on Linux servers, but I'm not a serious Linux desktop user, so I can't give you first-hand experience of Nexenta verses Linux. However, I was in a meeting with a number of Linux die-hards recently. One of them asked if anyone had tried Nexenta, and about 5 of them had, and they were extremely complimentary about it. None had a single negative comment, and those that had measured performance found it significantly better than a full Linux distro, and it was much more responsive and stable under heavy load than Linux is. A couple of them had noticed it also includes Dtrace, and been totally converted to using it for identifying system problems (something Linux has always been particularly bad at doing), and could not imagine using any OS in the future which didn't have Dtrace. (It is being ported to several other OS's at the moment, including Linux.) As these were not the kind of comments I normally hear from Linux die-hards, it looks like Nexenta may have something particularly compelling to offer them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, but they are all crowded together at the "worst" end of the spectrum, so the difference is hardly perceptible.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thats a tad biased methinks. 95 wasn't that hot, 98 had problems ME had as it sez ME!, WIN2K was good, and everything since is bloatware!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I think that that's a fair analysis if your spectrum of vision is Microsoft.

The Win2k monitor is better than the 9x monitors, I'll grant you.

Already the reports of Outlook 2007 being slow are coming in.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, that was edlin ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

LOL. Edlin made editing simple .bat files a days work! My favorite "early" application of all times just had to be Xtree !

:¬)

--

- Gym Equipment & Fitness Equipment
- UK Designed & Built!

Reply to
gymratz

Run Vmware on one of the Debian boxes and have Windows as a guest system, all sorts of advantages and virtually no disadvantages.

Reply to
tinnews

To play real audio streams (and with vsound, to record them). In what way is it spyware?

What is this 'XP' you speak about? It's not a distro I've come across ;-)

I was going to say "Such as?" but just for the hell of it dragged up my listen-to-the-radio command: realplay \ rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio3/live/r3_dsat_g2.ra and s/realplay/mplayer/ and waddayaknow - real-free radio :-)

gmplayer works too.

You did say 'alternatives' (plural) - are there others I'm missing?

Reply to
John Stumbles

It's the government's preferred software - a substitute for the X windowing system for the government that brought us Part Pee.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I forget. I looked at my firewall logs, thought "Why is it trying to phone home?" and deleted it. And it did all kinds of other rubbish, like trying to show me news and stuff I wasn't interested in.

Some rubbish I keep hanging around for when I absolutely have to have a Winblows machine.

Not here, sadly.

huge{~}: mplayer rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio3/live/r3_dsat_g2.ra MPlayer 1.0pre8-3.4.5 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team CPU: Sun Sparc

Playing rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio3/live/r3_dsat_g2.ra. STREAM_RTSP, URL: rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio3/live/r3_dsat_g2.ra Resolving rmlive.bbc.co.uk for AF_INET... Connecting to server rmlive.bbc.co.uk[212.58.227.84]: 554... Resolving rmlive.bbc.co.uk for AF_INET... Connecting to server rmlive.bbc.co.uk[212.58.227.84]: 7070... STREAM_HTTP(2), URL: rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio3/live/r3_dsat_g2.ra Resolving rmlive.bbc.co.uk for AF_INET... Connecting to server rmlive.bbc.co.uk[212.58.227.84]: 80... http_read_response read 0 (i.e. EOF). File not found: 'rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio3/live/r3_dsat_g2.ra' Failed to open rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio3/live/r3_dsat_g2.ra.

have no idea if this works under non-MS systems; I'm not that interested, sorry.

Reply to
Huge

Perhaps you have not encountered the vi editor

Reply to
Michael Chare

There's nothing wrong with vi.

I can have started it, done a bunch of edits on a file and exited before Word has even finished loading.

Having said that, I can remember going to a presentation by Andrew Tanenbaum during which he said the same about 'ed' in comparison to 'vi'

Mind you it was in 1982.

Reply to
andyrdhall

In my early days of selling software I resold an American shareware database manager, Zephyr, and brilliant it was too. But it needed the line FILES=40 inserted into CONFIG.SYS and at that time most users had nothing but edlin. So the routine, which I had off pat, was to say "don't ask questions, just do EXACTLY what I say: C:, cd \, edlin config.sys, l, .."

For word processing I use Lotus WordPro, not updated for a good few years but still a great bit of work. Having also used Word 2003 a bit, I could not believe how poor it was - this is not just a case being unfamiliar with it, rather that so much has to be done through modal dialogs instead of WordPro's right-click interactive properties mode of working.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

No; I had to write my university undergraduate essays using vecce on a VAX/VMS which was bad enough.

Anyway, I thought real men used emacs

Owain

Reply to
Owain

infrascriptus.

Owain

Addicted To Vi (with apologies to Robert Palmer)

You press the keys with no effect, Your mode is not correct. The screen blurs, your fingers shake; You forgot to press escape. Can't insert, can't delete, Cursor keys won't repeat. You try to quit, but can't leave, An extra "bang" is all you need.

You think it's neat to type an "a" or an "i"-- Oh yeah? You won't look at emacs, no you'd just rather die You know you're gonna have to face it; You're addicted to vi!

You edit files one at a time; That doesn't seem too out of line? You don't think of keys to bind-- A meta key would blow your mind. H, J, K, L? You're not annoyed? Expressions must be a Joy! Just press "f", or is it "t"? Maybe "n", or just "g"?

Oh--You think it's neat to type an "a" or an "i"-- Oh yeah? You won't look at emacs, no you'd just rather die You know you're gonna have to face it; You're addicted to vi!

Might as well face it, You're addicted to vi! You press the keys without effect, Your life is now a wreck. What a waste! Such a shame! And all you have is vi to blame.

Oh--You think it's neat to type an "a" or an "i"-- Oh yeah? You won't look at emacs, no you'd just rather die You know you're gonna have to face it; You're addicted to vi!

Might as well face it, You're addicted to vi!

Title : Addicted To Vi Original : Addicted To Love Group : Robert Palmer Author : Chuck Musciano ( snipped-for-privacy@trantor.harris-atd.com) Intro : After thinking about that poor wretch who has become addicted to vi, I was inspired to compose the following ditty, sung to the tune of "Addicted To Love" by Robert Palmer. As you sing this, it may help the effect to imagine a dozen women, all of whom resemble Bill Joy, dressed in black and dancing sinuously.

Reply to
Owain

Around that time there was a prog called PFedit. I used that quite a lot for editing config.sys and autoexec.bat. Very much easier to use that edlin.

I think Word Pro is so much better than anything that came out of Seattle is because it was written by ex Brits :-)

Like you, both my wife and I use Word Pro for all of our writing requirements. So much more intuitive.

Dave

Reply to
Dave