Hard Disk crash - rebuild with vista?

Just had my main hd crash on my main desktop pc. Its unrecoverable so i'm faced with a RMA replacement and a rebuild

Given that im gonna have to rebuild Im wondering is now the time to jump ship to vista ?

Ive got a athlon 64 3500+ and 1gb memory graphics card is a geforce 6600gt (agp)

Should i stick with xp or would vista be a sensible move at this stage and if so which version (32bit or 64 bit ?) of the premium edition

Opinions anyone

Thanks in advance....

Reply to
dkh

Vista would not be a sensible move at this stage, or probably at any other.

Here is your opportunity to install an operating system on your PC for the first time in its life.

Clearly it will thank you for installing a Linux distribution and the extra performance, functionality and stability will amaze you.

The best part is that for the money that you will save by not putting money into the pockets of Gates and henchman (Linux and applications are essentially free at point of purchase) you will be able to afford a respectable backup arrangement for the machine.

Yes, this is your opportunity to return from the Dark Side into the Light.

There are 64bit versions too. Still free.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nt1.hall.gl:

Lol I appreciate the sentiments (already have 2 debian linux pcs in the house) but i need to have a windows pc for other non linux stuff and i need to have microsoft office etc (ive tried the linux versions and they dont support the advanced features of word for eg)

dkh

dkh wrote in news:Xns98F5CE9DDEC34hisdancingleg@62.253.170.163:

oops, forgive my stupidity, please ignore this thread - i meant to post the original query in uk.comp.homebuilt but a slip of the fingers and i ended up in uk.d-i-y

Reply to
dkh

In article , dkh writes

Well I'm still very happy with WIN 2000 Pro which does all I need:-)

However here is one opinion;!...

tony sayer

Oh dear. I didn't think that anybody *needed* to have Orifice.

Does anyone use those?

At any rate, have you thought about running Linux on the machine and then running the Redmond malware under VMware?

The machine is plenty powerful enough to do this and it as the advantage that you can keep virtual machines (essentially files) with everything installed and ready to go. Then when the Seattle Shit breaks beyond time economic repair, as it always does, you can simply drop in another copy and be up and going again in about 2 minutes flat.

I'm using a similar technique for a couple of legacy conferencing applications that run only on Washingtonware and are not yet available for the Mac and it works very well indeed.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes but you'll get far more informed answers here.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Its an operating system. You spend 99% of your time in applications not the OS. Unless you want to use one or more of the applications supplied with vista why waste the cash?

Reply to
dennis

In the minimalist definition of that. Almost.

One would like to hope so.

That's true anyway

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm doing the opposite and running SUSE in M$ virtual PC. At least that way my scanner works.

Reply to
dennis

I feel much the same way about Win ME.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hmmmm..... Never tried that. Seems like one of those inverted pyramid puzzles.

Matthew 7:24-27 springs to mind

24"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

It all fits. Clearly Heaven runs Linux and Hades runs M$

and is all here

Sane works very well for me...

Reply to
Andy Hall

yebbut there's a lot of non-free stuff (like Acrobat reader) which doesn't have 64-bit versions, and Automatix doesn't install 32-bit versions of all of them for you so you've got to manually configure a 32-bit chrooted environment ... or something: haven't got round to it yet (I run 32-bit apps off another box via ssh -X).

Reply to
John Stumbles

Suggest that you do not.

I have Vista Business 64 bit AMD64bit 2gig memory.

There is so much software which just does not work - I have had to dual boot my machine to keep many old applications working (eg System Mechanic, Real Player, Nero to name but three) working.

Aero is interesting : BUT beware it is not part of all Vistas.

The disadvantages outweigh the advantages (if there are any)

Reply to
mike

In article , Andy Hall writes

Yeah, but didn't the BC BC insist that 'cos of the sand it had to have plies?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Acrobat reader?, pah! its more like bloated reader.

This is much lighter quicker and free:)

tony sayer

There you go.

Far better than RDP anyway

Reply to
Andy Hall

You would think so, wouldn't you? All of which demonstrates that regulation does not protect against basic misadventure.

I was looking for the taxation angle, but couldn't see it - unless they had landfill tax in biblical times of course.

Reply to
Andy Hall

He needs to buy a more powerful machine, though. Mine has no trouble with DVDs at all.

Reply to
Huge

Does 64 bit Linux really behave this badly? Take a look at Solaris x86/x64 -- I run a mixture of 32 and 64 bit apps without knowing or caring which is which, and certainly without having to build different environments to run them in.

If you want a GNU look-and-feel, then you might look at NexentaOS which is Debian/Ubuntu with a Solaris kernel, although I don't know how they handle mixed 32/64 bit applications, and given it sounds like the problem you mention above is a user-land problem, not a kernel one, it might be same problem as on Linux.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel