Hard brick drilling

There speaks a man who hasn't used an SDS yet. You may think that the B&D hammer drill "will do" for brick but once you used the SDS you won't.

Bbbbrrrrddddtttzzzz - 6 mm hole 50 mm deep couple of seconds and no real effort from you compared to how long leaning on a hammer drill?

30 seconds, a minute?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The length of time something lasts has more to do with the usage, and probably misuse. The comparison is only valid if you and the work colleague had identical usage from the tool.

I will agree that a better quality tool tend to help producing a better finished job and it maintains its performance for longer but often the cheaper tool is fit for purpose in a typical domestic environment rather than being a professional tool.

Reply to
alan_m

My 18V hammer drill will put a 6 mm hole through a paving slab in less than 30 seconds. If you use a multimaterial bit. It takes a fair bit longer with a masonry bit. The SDS is quicker but half the slab is missing from the rear.

I made the mistake of using the SDS on a wall. It was only an 8 mm bit and when I got to about 2 inches from the outside it blew an entire brick face off.

Reply to
dennis

Let alone the devices use for chasing and general demolition uses!.

Best tool I've ever bought:)

Reply to
tony sayer

  • 1!
Reply to
tony sayer

Very impressive, I've never managed to do that.

Reply to
Capitol

I did once see a contractor cutting into a substantial reinforced concrete structure (biological shield of a research reactor) using a diamond disk cutter about 3.5 metres in diameter.

Reply to
newshound

Its for bank robberies, you drive the truck in and load it up.

Reply to
dennis

I assume you mean 1m by 10mm ?

Sometimes I do pilot with a smaller bit first, but find that you still need to take care with the small bit - you can lead a substantial exit wound with even an 8mm bit. Secondly it can be easy to end up not following the original hole if there is too much step up in drill size. (e.g. I remember piloting a hole through a wall with a 10mm bit, and then switching to a 25mm bit, only for the exit hole to end up a couple of inches away from the original pilot exit!

Reply to
John Rumm

correct - just checking if anyone was reading - but no, a typo

Too powerful a drill.

At least they didn't do that with the CrossRail tunnels - perhaps they did, which is why there are two.

Reply to
charles

And, one should add, the big heavy cheapos are equally fast. It's just that they're, well, big and HEAVY. A 36 volt cordless is to die for!

Reply to
stuart noble

Old hard and damp bricks. The SDS bits heads could not cope.

Reply to
ARW

drill?

Yes the multimaterial bits are better, not that slabs are particulary hard.

A bad workman always blames his tools.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Where did I blame the tool?

I blame the bricks, they are really hard on the outside but not all the way through.

Reply to
dennis

Well, 3 tunnels - the 'service' tunnel is the original pilot hole.

Reply to
PeterC
[91 lines snipped]

FFS, snip the quoted text.

Reply to
Huge

My 25mm 1M long bit is a pig to control.

Reply to
Capitol

Yes, BTDT!

Reply to
Capitol

It can be easier to start with a short one and then move to a longer one once the hole's opened up a bit.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Sorry, I didn't understand the Hitachi comment. Are you saying they are very good or very bad?

Reply to
Stephen