Hanrail and Spindle Qs

Hi all

I am looking at replacing 70s ranch style bannister with hand rail and spindles (B&Q sell Richard Burbidge stuff which looks good but is pricey). My question relates to the fixing of the hand rail to the newel post at each end. We intend to live with the existing newel posts (refurbed and painted white) but to use oak hand rail and spindles (SWMBO's idea). Question: alongside the handrail was a long screw-type fixing and it appeared that one of these was fitted to the display layout. Is this all that holds the handrail to the newel, a single screw passing through the full width of the newel and into the hanrail end? There seemed to be some clip-type thing in the screw packaging but there were no instructions on fitting.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Have you tried the Richard Burbidge website? The fixing instructions are available as a pdf.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I think it was possibly on advice from this group, but I used a short bit of dowel along with the lag-bolt, just to prevent the rail from twisting.

But yes, it's just a 3/8" bolt holding our rail* to the newel, and after several months of use nothing's showing any signs of loosening up.

  • this is at the bottom of the stairs, so given the angles I was able to put a headless bolt into the newel from the 'inner' side only (locking two nuts together to initially drive it into the newel) rather than having to run something right through the newel from the 'outer' side.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

If in doubt just cut a tenon on the end of the handrail and mortice in the newel. You can "spring" it into place before the spindles are fitted.

Reply to
John Rumm

"Man at B&Q" wrote

Have you tried the Richard Burbidge website? The fixing instructions are available as a pdf.

MBQ

Thanks MBQ - yes I looked at the site, but not hard enough obviously. Found the fasteners, but they work with replacement newel posts - I intend to retain the existing ones.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster