Hanging small wash basin ?

I am putting in a new washbasin in my cloakroom, which just has two approx

20mm oval holes in the back of the basin. The wall is plasterboard dabbed onto soft concrete blocks of some sort. The basin didn't come with any wall fixings or instructions. It is 450mm wide by about 390mm deep I presume I need some sort of "fisher bolt" for the wall, and some strong washers larger than the 20mm holes ? Will I need plastic washers as well ? What diameter bolt would be suitable, I'm guessing 8mm or 10mm ?

Thanks Tony

Reply to
TonyB

think screwfux and toolsatan et al sell basin fixing kits - Fischer and copies - that will have what you need inlcuding plastic "top hat" washers etc

JimK

Reply to
JimK

In message , TonyB writes

What is on the other side of the wall? I did this in a downstairs cloakroom with threaded rod through the wall and into the garage behind it. Much stronger than anything else I could think of at the time. I have visions of some one in the future looking at the nuts on the garage wall and undoing them and the wash basin falling off on the other side.

Reply to
Bill

I used rawlbolts - the ones with a threaded rod and a nut rather than a bolt. Tightened them into place with a washer and a nut below plaster level, leaving enough thread sticking out for the basin, a plastic washer, another washer and another nut. Rock solid.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I did similar, threaded rods fixed into the wall using resin. Cut some plastic washers from whatever was to hand, and used nylock nuts on the rod.

NT

Reply to
NT

They do, I used a fischer set for the basin in the cottage bathroom it's not going anywhere but that through plaster into stone. The wall fixings in the kit are big (12 or 13mm hole) expanding plastic plugs I'd be a bit wary of them in soft blocks, some form of resin fixing might be better.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed. But don't think B&Q. Customer bought a cheap 'basin in a box' from them. No fixings in the box. I went to B&Q armed with the customers reciept & asked for the fixings - they aren't included (no doubt to keep the price down). I asked where they were so I could buy some - they didn't sell them separately.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman