Hanging (heavy) radiators to stud plasterboard wall

As subject.

Going to replace 2 x (400mm x 600mm), single radiators, with a (800 x

600) and a (600 x 600), double ones.

The new radiators are substantially heavier than the existing ones, so I want to make sure that they are fixed properly. Also, the kids may occasionally lean on them...

I already checked, and one bracket of each of the new radiators will screw directly into the wooden upright stud. The other two brackets (one for each radiator) are not aligned with a stud unfortunately.

I want to avoid going down the paths of either reinforcing the wall with

12mm/18mm ply (will be very visible), or alternatively cut the plasterboard out between studs & fix a timber across where brackets are being fixed.

With the above in mind, which fixings shall I use?

- Plasterboard rowplugs

- Wall Anchors (as in

If so, which one?

- Spring Toggle

Should I also use something like No More Nails between the bracket and the wall for added support?

Reply to
JoeJoe

in

cut out the plasterboard carefully. Fix reinforcing between studs so you can put the plasterboard back flush with the existing. Tape and fill. It's a pain but worth doing !!

Al

Reply to
Allan Mac

no

yes

no

Won't hurt...

Reply to
John Rumm

I wonder why rad manufacturers don't space their brackets at the same centres as wall studs?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Because not all wall studs are at the same centres? Indeed, whilst there might be a majority at 400 or 600 mm - a lot might be the acceptably close 18" or 24". But lots are slightly different because it made more sense to put the verticals in evenly spread across a space rather than conforming to a standard. You've got a one metre gap - where would you put the middle stud? 600/400? or 500/500?

Reply to
polygonum

Was thinking the same thing.

Reply to
JoeJoe

JoeJoe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

It may not suit the room layout to slavishly have to fit the radiator where the studs happen to be.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

What about putting feet on it as well?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

in

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

Radiators fitted tomorrow (in addition to other heating related jobs), and with existing radiators still plumbed it is simply not going to happened unfortunately. I need something that can be done in a few minutes.

Reply to
JoeJoe

JoeJoe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

My bathroom radiator has been on a plasterboard wall (not even studded - just a sandwich arrangement) for 25 years. The brackets have been fixed with those expanding anchors. I remove the radiator and the brackets for painting - never a sign of trouble. If OP has concerns then I second the idea of using some No More Nails behind the bracket. Teach the family to treat the radiators with some respect and not let kids play about pulling on them.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

depends how wide the board is....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Can't imagine what difference trying to glue a metal bracket to some painted? or bare plaster skim will do?

electrify them? ;>))

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I was rather assuming 1220. It would be perverse to choose 900 for a 1 metre stud wall - but if using up off-cuts or whatever...

Reply to
polygonum

or more usually the fact that (even) you can't always physically get 8 X4 foot pboards into every room...presumably that's why 6 X3ft pboards are made...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I sort-of included those issues with "whatever..." - but if you were putting up a 1 metre stud wall with 900mmm plasterboard, where would you put the "middle" stud?

Reply to
polygonum

I kind of ignore weasel words.

the "middle" stud?

0, 450, 900, 1000 & 1 cut board vs 0, 500,1000 & 2 cut boards

(yers plus the bits above 1800)

take your pick

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Then use flexible tails, so its no disaster when they drop off!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I believe it will create a very good seating and resist some of the slight movements that eventually lead to the fixings working loose. As for preventing the kids swinging on them - I find just explaing once that the radiator isn't strong enough and if it was pulled off it would make a really big mess.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

more likely you taking the brackets off to decorate results in the loose fixings?

mmm & that's supposed to DIScourage them?! ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K