Hanging garage doors

I'm fitting new garage doors. Each door is 3' 6" wide and when closed will be secured by a hasp & staple with padlock arrangement, in the middle where they meet. My problem is that I can't decide on the fixing method for the gudgeons - they'll be fixed to a wooden frame but for various reasons they have to be on the outside.

The doors actually sit inside or between the reveal so there's no chance of them being lifted off the gudgeons to allow unauthorised access, but I find it strange that these things are only supplied with round fixing holes, as opposed to the cranked bands I've got that have one square hole to allow the use of a coach (carriage) bolt that can't be unscrewed from the outside.

If I use coach screws, can't a burglar with a spanner just undo them all on one side and then swing the door open? Is it better to use nuts and bolts to fix the gudgeons to the wooden frame, so that they go all the way through and can have a nut to secure it and a second nut to act as a locknut? Or am I being paranoid? What's the accepted way and why don't they supply the gudgeons with at least one square hole for coach bolts?

TIA, Bill

Reply to
Bill Payer