Hanging doors

I have hung two internal doors and there is something I am not doing right. When I close them, at the last couple of inches before closing the hinges get a pull away from the door frame. I cannot work out what I am doing wrong. The hinges look to be cut into the right position.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

Perhaps you have let the hinges too deeply (at the outter edge especially). if you lay a straight edge over the hinges (with the doors open of course) are they completely flush with the woodwork of both the door and the frame?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Yup - sounds like set too deep and the hinge side edge of the door is pressing against the frame.

Try putting some card packing under the hinges.

Other possibilities are the hinge recesses are a long way off level so the hinge leaves (the edge away from the hinge pins) meet too early (remove hinges and pack out or cut level), or that the door edge on the hinge side but away from the hinge pins is meeting the frame too early (ease the door on that edge).

Slide in and drag out a piece of paper to probe for tight spots as you open and close the door.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Have you planed down the doors to fit? This is a common problem if the door is not planed flat. I believe the old craftsman method was to cut the hinges into the door at a slight angle, so the leaves of the hinge are further apart away from the hinge pin. This was with old cast iron hinges where the screws could be proud of the hinge plate. But the principle still applies. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

the bit about chamfering the edges... that will prevent the problem you are seeing. You can probably fix it by carefully packing out the hinges however.

Reply to
John Rumm

There are several reasons for this little problem, and one can be cured by an 'educated' tap or so with a hammer.

The door is what they call hinge-bound.

1 Cause: Sinking one or both hinges too deeply into either the door or frame, not deeply enough so that the hinge leaves touch, or even protruding screw heads touching each other (usually because the screw is too big)

Cure: Sink the hinge[s] deeper, pack the underside[s] of the problem hinge with small pieces of thin cardboard or fit smaller screws.

2 Cause: The door is touching the doorstop on the hanging (hinge) side - either because the door is slightly bowed or the stops are fitted too close to the door.

Cure: Remove and re-fix the door stop (with the door closed) so that there is a very small gap between the door and stop.

3 Cause: The hanging side of the door lining is bowed in towards the door and touching the door edge.

Cure: Plane the door around the 'bulge" or put a fixing in the lining to straighten it up.

4 Cause: The door has not been planed to have a small bevel on the edge of the door (from the outside to the inside).

Cure: Plane a bevel on the edge - this also allows for a closer 'fit' between frame and door reducing draughts.

This list is not exhaustive, but usually a close inspection will reveal the problem (usually simple).

I hope this helps.

Cash

Reply to
Cash