Hanging a heavy(ish) mirror above fireplace

I'm open to suggestions on this, i've got a mirror, probably about

25lbs in weight, and need to mount it above the fireplace.

This house is only about 20 years old, so i'm wary that the in-wall chimney will be quite shallow centrally, so might be a bit of an issue trying to mount it via a single fixing and very strong wire :-}

The mirror has two large triangular hooks / fixing points already mounted, but i'm also wary that they won't allow any "tweaking" to get it straight if either of the holes happen to a bit off...

What sort of fixing method would you suggest please ?

...and if I use the existing fixing points, would you suggest normal countersunk screws and dangle the hooks over them, or what ?

I did use a central fixing with something like a 3" no.12 screw on a picture of a similar weight in my old house which worked well, but again, this is on a "modern" flush chimney breast so perhaps not quite so advisable...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

Perhaps screw a batten to the wall around 3/4 the width of the mirror using

4 - 6 fixings and then hang from that ?

In message , R wrote

French Cleat

Reply to
Alan

Pictures are ok tipped forward slightly on a wire, but big mirrors should be flat against the wall IMO. Kind of disorientating if they're not. I've always used 38mm unslotted glass plates. They stick out like ears at the sides but at least you know that all the pressure is downwards.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Is there any form of heating device in the fireplace?

If there is do not hang a mirror over it. People *will* preene themselves in the mirror paying far more attention to that than their clothes catching fire...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Due to the underlying chimney / flue i'm a little worried about drilling anywhere central - i'm not sure how strong (or wide) they are, but i'm guessing they're precast concrete, and may compromise the integrity of the flue / allow exhaust fumes in if I c*ck it up :-}

(not that we're using it as a gas fire, or have plans to, but i'd rather leave it intact if possible :-}

That's what I was thinking tbh !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Use the hooks, just be careful to get the holes level. You can always add a 'sleeve' of plastic tube or even tape over one screw if necessary. Use pan head screws & a washer of you are worried the hook might slip off the screw.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There is, but we haven't used it other than for decorative lighting since it was installed in about March / April, and we don't forsee any change of use any time soon !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Come winter? Don't say you haven't been warned... you might not be daft enough but vistors might.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We have a large mirror over our mantel - but we also have a screen over the fireplace opening. Even without the screen it would be difficult to get close enough to burn your clothing, unless you were actually standing on the raised tiled area in front of the fire.

Reply to
S Viemeister