Hanging a door

Trying to move a door from one place to another. Trouble is that, despite all of the doorways notionally accommodating a 78 x 30 door, one is obviously a tiny bit wider.

What would you do - I can only think of;

A) trying to fix an additional piece of timber (about 5mm thick) down the hinge side of the door to make it wider and start again. Though it may make the door look a bit odd.

B) Fix a similar piece of timeber on the inside of the door frame to narrow the gap - althought this would not leave much of the jamb visible. Advantage is that I'd be able to paint over this (the door itself is natural wood).

Is there a right way ?

Thanks

Reply to
Stephen

Leave the door alone for a few weeks, while you work out how to deal with it - that would be my plan.

I'd add the extra to the door, and take some (but not weeks worth)) of care in choosing the right wood.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

My old house had this problem on most of the doors; it had been 'fixed' using method B above. If it's really only 5mm or so you'll not see it once painted - if it's too visible then you could use another piece of wood to build up the door frame to match.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The right way is to pack out the door frame and then refit th architrave to suit.

If you dont want to redo the architrave then pack out the frame on th hinge side as it will be less noticable

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H