Handyman 0 - Angle Grinder 1.

"Frozen north" being the balmy south in Manchester. B-)

The only dealings I've had with that lot was to get and renew my "Lorimar Letter". All my other tax dealings go through the local office, who send me my return. If no one is sending you a return, wriggle a bit you might fall through the cracks....

I actually opened the package containing the return for 2004/5 the other day and filed it along with the 2005/6 one. My accountant emails a .pdf version which I print, check, sign and post.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Merely sending a return late is *not* sufficient grounds for them to issue a fine, you have to actually them some tax too, whenever you do send the return, so long as it turns out you owe nothing, they backtrack all the fines they've threatened. Alternatively send them a cheque which will more than cover what you owe and even if your return is late they still can't fine you.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No - Newcastle.

My accountant gets spares. He used to work for the revenue.;-)

Don't think my guy understands e-mail. Brown envelopes with actual stamps on them - usually lots of small values. I daren't ask why.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Years ago I kept getting threats about fines for a late submission, but I'd delivered it by hand (in time) along with a cheque and got a receipt. The cheque was cashed. I wrote explaining this but couldn't stop the computer spewing out those letters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does he feel better now he's gone straight?

If like my accountant (who never has); does he berate how their professional standards have deteriorated over the last few years?

Paper trail..... Letters, faxes OK. Emails not.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It gives him quite an advantage in knowing just how to deal with them.

His opinion of them can't be printed where children might read.

There's nothing to stop you printing an e-mail, though. And I'm not sure a sig on a fax would be any proof.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same here.

I'm not sure as far as HMRC are concerned, although AIUI, generally letters and faxes are deemed acceptable legal documents whereas emails are not.

There's a lot of inconsistency though - HMRC accept submission of returns on line for example.

I would find it very convenient to communicate with my bank manager by email, and his bank uses email internally. However, he is not allowed to accept external emails from customers. I can understand that, but one would think that they could accept messages from customers using online banking once past the username/password/PIN stage. Their system even knows which manager is assigned to my accounts.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Who is in Newcastle tax wise? Compliance for Lorimar letters is definately Salford, I've just checked my latest letter from Sept last year.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've got two tax orifices - one's in Wrexham and the other, ISTR is in Sheffield. I don't think they speak to one another. Probably a language issue.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You mean they don't speak Geordie or Mackem? ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Which bank? I may have good news for you ...

(Send me an email if you don't want to talk about it in public)

Reply to
Huge

The one with the recycling logo.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah. I used to deal with a branch of that one. They turned their fax machine off overnight "to save on the telephone bill".

Didn't do much for my phone bill, only being able to fax during peak rate.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My branch told *me* it was for security reasons. I imagined a burglar faxing himself into the branch in the dead of night, but on reflection I think that the cheapskates had their fax machine attached to the phone line that the intruder alarm used for dialling out.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Well.... other than the email thing, I really don't have any complaints. For example, I can reach the manager handling my accounts pretty much at any time either on his landline or mobile, and any issues are generally fixed PDQ.

Reply to
Andy Hall

From what I've seen of "bank managers" these days, I can't imagine a use for them

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I think it depends. I seem to have a particularly good one.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Security reasons is the usual blame and/or catch all for any silly buggers idea or incompetence they want to cover up or gloss over.

Rarely does it have anything at all to do with security!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I have a "relationship" manager somewhere .. bu**ered if I know where he is 'tho!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Don't you keep it in the wardrobe?

Reply to