Handrail convention?

That's what buckets are for.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That's what I've been doing up to now (and might well continue to do once the handrails are up). The interesting (well, to me, at least) question is "what height above the treads should the handrails be?" since instinct appears to suggest that the natural and ideal going-up height is considerably less than the natural and ideal coming-down measurement. It might be that I end up fitting two rails on each side...

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

My Dad did that, the "up" rails were only just above the treads, god knows what height the others were.

Reply to
brass monkey

That's interesting, thanks. My experiments so far agree with your Dad's placement of the "up" rails and suggest that the "down" rails should be at much the same height as the rails on a conventional staircase.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

if it is single width stairwell then one hand rail either side. ....

Reply to
Rick Hughes

That's the most common case - one only. I've never actually noticed which side is preponderant.

Mine's single width (but not too narrow) and has a rail on each side. There was just one on the R going up and the second one was fitted for my father when he became wobbly.

Reply to
PeterC