Handling a very heavy steel beam

Mm. when manhgndling large oak beams to a similar level. we hauled them with a tractor digger, and hailed em up by hand..

Its not beyond a high loader either.

Or you can use jacks and props in succession to inch the thing up. Do build some sort of timber of scaffolding type structure to contain if it falls.

I think I'd probably get the scaffolders in and build two sections either side, put beams across and then use pulleys to do the finml lift.

Rolling it on scaffold poles to get it into place.

Or just get a crane on a truck and have done with it ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes: You have to lay scaffold planks down to make a railway. Not rocket science is it?

Don't tell anyone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have just installed a 254 x 254 x 107Kgm x 9600 beam at the back of my house for the sliding folding doors that are 8700 metres width.

This steel is a ton in a residential property and we managed to move it with steel pipes and brute force.

Reply to
Ray

~~~~~~~~~~~

Bloody 'ell!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Cherry picker,lot cheaper than a crane hire. position the beam on the cherry picers cradle then just gear the cradle up to the position and forward it into positon with the controls of the cradle.

Reply to
George

That must be a pretty beefy cherry picker. I wouldn't want to write the safe system of work.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Some of them can take the weight of 7300kg,his beam only weighs 1000kg

George

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

1000kg

All,

Just to clarify, the beam itself is an "I" beam which is supported either end by 2 box section columns.

Also interesting to see Ray's post as this is exactly what we are doing and his steel seems a fair bit smaller. In fact, half the steel is supporting the upstairs wall and roof (rafters run parallel so less support I guess) and the other half is supporting the roof above.

This is great dialog

thanks Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

1000kg
quoted text -

George - Just looking at the cherry pickers, how did you get the steel on to the platform without destroying the surround/ railings etc.?

thanks Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

the problem here is what the ground immediately under the beam is like. In our case ( 14" square 6 meter long oak beam. Not quite as heavy as the steel here. but still made us pretty thoughtful when it was being levered into place), we couldn't get one in..

Ultimately we used a sdmall tracor to drag the beams into more or less the pisitioon,..and lift ecah end on a froint bucket, and shove themn around that way, then IIRC it was up on some trestles made for thejob, using lots of blokes and slings, then slings on each end and a bit of tractor bucket to hoist each end, acrows underneath with some stability braces on half way up, and then levering sweating and cursing to do the final placement.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Apparently the way they got the horizontal stones in place at Stonehenge was to lever up one end, put a chock under, then lever up the other end, chock under etc etc. When the horizontal stone was at the right height it was slid sideways onto the uprights.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, but it is Rocket science :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to
Webmaster

Presumably this is just supposition though?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Given that Youtube wasn't invented, of course it is.

Reply to
Huge

Have you considered using a fork-lift truck - both to move it and lift it into position?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I did but the problem is that the beam would be perpendicular to the direction of motion so would need a 7m wide path to the garden - unfortunately it is only 3m. A fork lift truck which could travel sideways would do the trick but not seen one.

Reply to
leenowell

In that case, maybe you need a side-loader - see

Roger Mills

Well I wasn't actually there at the time :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman