'hand operated' cotter pin wanted

I'm after a cotter pin that I can insert and remove easily by hand. At least I think I want a cotter pin if it's one of those pins with a shoulder at one end and a hole for a split-pin retainer at the other end.

These will be 6mm diameter, 2.5/3cm long.

I guess a basic solution would be a standard cotter pin with an R-clip in the hole to retain it but I'd like a more user friendly version if I can find one.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere pins that have a section at the end that folds in flush with the pin for inserting and then flips out to retain the pin. This would be ideal if I can find a name for such as there isn't an R-clip to lose (or get stuck).

Reply to
cl

I think of a cotter pin as having a tapered face which needs to be pulled up tight by a nut, as in the (very ancient) bicycle crank connection.

For "flip connectors" perhaps you need something like these?

newshound

I believe you mean a clevis pin?

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Clevis Pin Chris.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

& the securing pin you are thinking of is a linch/lynch pin!

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Defo One of these.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

An excellent use of Google Images!

Reply to
newshound

Ah, yes, Clevis Pin.

Those ones in that link are rather expensive though!

Reply to
cl

Er, that link results in as much confusion as we started with! :-)

Reply to
cl

What are those things called that are a pin, but hollow with a small ball that sticks out the side that pops back up when the pin reaches the other side, then you push in a pin and it wedges the ball. I've seen them on some camping stuff, and they were useful for not losing things. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A Picture Paints A Thousand Words............................ And now you have a choice. And maybe see something you hadn't thought about. Baz

Reply to
Baz

That what in you need in that case Chris is...................

Baz

Reply to
Baz

Well. Thank You.

Reply to
Baz

What I meant was that lots of those pictures show things other than clevis pins.

Reply to
cl

You can get a thing called a pip pin does this.

The ball bearings in the end pop back inside the shaft when the rod in the end is pressed in.

|0&gclid=CPzE15ali74CFWjKtAodVBUAGQ

Reply to
harryagain

It's only a clevis pin when it goes through a clevis.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

That's exactly the point. It's easy to skip through the pictures but they show all sorts of different ways of achieving similar tasks.

Reply to
newshound

I made my own linch pins because the bought ones were stupid, and fell out when flipped the wrong side:

MattyF