Hammerite paint

Does anyone know what (apart from their own thinners) will clean a paint brush that has been used with Hammerite paint?

It seems to defy everything I try!

David

Reply to
David J

MIBK or acetone.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

WD40 Sorry, but it's true!

Neil

Reply to
Neil Bush

What is MIBK?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It depends on the age of the paint. Original Hammerite used

1.1.1-Trichloroethane (Genklene). The modern formulation uses a mixture of predominately Acetone and the petroleum distillate Naptha (lighter fluid, Coleman fuel).
Reply to
Peter Parry

Perhaps you meant MEK (methyl ethyl ketone).

ISTR cellulose thinners works too, but it may be too late once it is dry.

Reply to
newshound

Methyl Iso-Butyl Ketone.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

No I didn't :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , David J writes

I have no idea, but I went round both Poundland and Pound World today and neither of them have the packs of Chinese bristle shedding brushes that I have used for epoxy resin and things like Hammerite since the days when the cheapo brushes from China said "Genuine Hogs Bristle" on the handle. The hog ones were really good.

The current replacement things with plastic bristles are a complete disaster.

Times are really getting bad.

Reply to
Bill

LOL, it shows how bad things are when 'cheap s**te' really is s**te .. ;)

I also had a stock of those 'real' bristle brushes and whilst they last a long time, they never lasted indefinitely and now cost a (relative) fortune to replace. :(

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Once dry I think that is the case. Use brushes you don't want to use again for Hammerite. B-)

My old (approx 10 years) tin of Hammerite Brush Cleaner has "Xylene" on the label, a dimethylbenzene.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Acetone - never buy hammerite thinners now just get big cheap bulk bottles of acetone ( which incidentally seems particularly good at tackling jobs where other solvents fail. In an emergency your wife's nail polish remover will do the job too as it is mostly acetone too.

( I have attempted to get her to use pure acetone on her nails as it is much cheaper than the stuff she buys but she won't...)

Reply to
Mark Brightman

There is a solution to that reluctance...the never ending bottle on her dressing table.

I think that Ethyl Acetate is now far more common as a pigment carrier in nail varnish and as the prime solvent in nail varnish removers than acetone is.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Where do you get these big bottles from?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks Neil - I tried that and you are right. Who'd have thunk that?

David

Reply to
David J