Hammerite

Recent question was whether you had to re-coat within 4 Hrs or wait 6 weeks which was what Finnegans used to print on the tin. The official answer from Akzo Nobel Technical is:

"The formulation of the Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal paint has changed from xylene based to white spirit based. This means there is not a time restriction for application of the second coat so you can do this anytime from eight hours of application of the first coat."

This would also mean that no need for expensive Hammerite thinners anymore - white spirit could be used - though they didn't say that.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

IIRC the tougher resins are only soluble in the more volatile solvents, so you might as well use any old oil based paint.

Reply to
stuart noble

Someone recently suggested POR 15 instead. It sounds pretty good, and I'll be trying it soon.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Me.

It is.

Don't get it on you. Don't expect to re-use the paintbrush. Don't expect to be able to get the lid off the tin next time (I pour it into a jam jar and put several layers of cling-film under the lid of the tin.)

Reply to
Huge

I read a few reviews on Amazon, and someone had said pretty much the same thing.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

On 12/08/2014 12:37, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote: t could be used - though they didn't say that.

I thought Rustoleum was considered the best here ? (never used it though)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I've never used it, either. This subject comes up regularly and at great length on the classic car forums and POR15 seems to be highly recommended.

Reply to
Huge

POR15 needs just one pinhole from a piece of gravel, a particle of salt, and a couple of winters and it can peel off in sheets. Hopeless adhesion on new smooth surfaces too. Even gritblasting may not be sufficient to get an adequate key to a 'new' surface. Have something off a scrapheap that is as rusty as f*ck, wirebrushed, overcoated with POR15 and then subsequently not exposed to salt, water and impact, and it might be deemed ok... by some.

All paint, or at least that available to Joe Public is shit these days. POR15 was shit two decades ago, it's probably worse now.

Reply to
The Other Mike