Hammer-on picture hooks

I've seen these recently. A white plastic hook with three steel pins protruding, which I assume are simply hammered into a solid wall. Are they any good?

MM

Reply to
MM

A bit bulky but the only way of hanging anything in my parents old bungalow without using a hammer drill. Plaster was like hard concrete but the small pins would penetrate even if I did have to hit them hard enough to set off next door's burglar alarm. Doubtless the quality of the pins varies but the ones I got were very good.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

sticks like shit? car body filler?

Plaster was like hard concrete

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My comment was a bit of a generalisation. I was hanging pictures. Not in areas I would want to use an adhesive that would cause substantial damage if it needed to be removed. I do use both sticks like shit and what used to be plastic padding type hard. Seem to recall amongst other things it has been called chemical metal or similar.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

They work surprisingly well for reasonably light pictures on hard wall surfaces, which is what they are designed for. Not much good on soft plaster or plasterboard. The manufacturers say the picture should have cord not the fine wire for hanging. If you?ve got lots to hand they are cheaper in bulk from people like Lion.

Basically if you can get the long nails of normal hooks into the wall they are preferable. If not then try the Toly hooks.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

3M Command adhesive hooks?
Andy Burns

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I can now confirm, having bought several this morning, that they work brilliantly. I'll buy some more on Monday.

MM

Reply to
MM

W A R N I N G ! Use eye protection!

I had one of the pins snap off and shoot into my face. Could have been blinded.

MM

Reply to
MM

My place is similar, masonry nails bend if you try to hammer them in.

The hooks described above - didn't know they were called Toly hooks - work a treat.

There are a number of house near here built by the navy 50+ years ago. You can't hang a picture on a wall without using an SDS - hammer drill has no effect at all.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I found it difficult to hit the nails squarely without hitting the plastic hook. I was looking for a short piece of steel rod, about an inch in diameter, that I could use as a nail driver.

Reply to
Montalvo

You need a nail punch.

Reply to