Hammer drill lost its hammer

I will probably get flamed here but here goes - i bought one of thos

Chinese SDS drills with rotostop and a kit of bits from France for eur

  1. I was so impressed (for domestic use only) i bought another one o my next wine trip. A few months later they appeared in Srewfix etc selling for about £40.00 without the bit kit. One of mine has lost its "hammer" action and i was wondering if ther was a way to repair it easily. It has not been used very much so wort repairing if i can. The other one has been used a lot for digging u concrete etc and has proved to be a real bargain for the price.

Anyone any ideas or experience?

Thank

-- freddyuk

Reply to
freddyuk

A mate of mine bought (well was given in fact) a JCB branded one. The experiance was much the same - worked well enough for a while and then lost hammer action. Shortly after it stripped it main drive gear and lost rotation as well.

Your best bet would be to contact the store that sold it and see if there is a possibility of a warrenty replacement. There is not usually much chance of getting spares on these tools. Either that or decide that

30 euro was a fair price for the work it did, bin it and buy another.
Reply to
John Rumm

In message , freddyuk writes

I have the reverse of your problem. My Bosch drill has developed a slight hammer action on *drill only*. Years of abuse with oversize drill bits may have moved the hammer cam along the shaft such that it is in permanent contact. Yours seems to have gone the other way:-)

I don't know how these parts are assembled but the hammer collar may just be heat shrunk to the shaft. Minor tolerance variations/abuse perhaps have allowed it to slide out of position?

The annoying thing about even slight hammer action is that it blunts conventional metal cutting bits:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I expect the op machine has a proper hammer action with a little piston.

strip it down and look, or buy an identical one and take your one back (after a week or two)

Reply to
mrcheerful

So you're suggesting dishonesty?

Reply to
Andy Hall

If it'll be inside any guarantee period when you go back, get a refund.

If the guarantee's run out, take it to bits and see what's up. It'll be interesting, if nothing else. You might even fix it.

If you CBA, bin it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The OPs drill sounded like an SDS - hence no cam collar etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , mrcheerful . writes

Ah. Missed the SDS bit:-)

But that's ........!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It is - he said "i bought one of those Chinese SDS drills with rotostop and a kit of bits"

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's a long way to go for a 30 euro drill, unless they're also prepared to refund the ferry/eurotunnel fare. I'd check in advance.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The OP mentioned he "bought another one on [his] next wine trip". He might go regularly, unlike the rest of us who have to shell out mucho dinero to the tax-man, abstrad that he is.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Spray a load of WD40 down the chuck, very often the bearings that create the hammering stick, also you shouldn't use them for just hammering or just drilling, from time to time, swap them over and let each of them have a spin AND a hammering session.

Reply to
Phil L

Don't always look to Screwfix for power tools. Argos will do that cheapo SDS drill with all the bits for =A330, with a UK plug and local warranty!

Might be just the switch that selects hammer action that is at fault. Have you topped up the grease as well? I find when new you have to top up the grease the most.

Or give up drinking and you'll be able to afford something better. ;-)

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I don't think Argos do an SDS for £30?

Next!

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

I'd take it apart and see what's up.

Out of interest, does anyone know how the hammerstop works on these little pneumatic drills?

Reply to
Guy King

My mistake, it's =A329.99 not =A330.

daddyfreddy

with 11 bits+jawed chuck+grease+spare brushes that *still* hasn't gone wrong, (so I haven't needed the free 3-year warranty)!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

On some of the cheap ones there isn't really a "hammer stop", there's just a sliding block that wedges the drill bit in the forward position. The hammer is still flying back and forth, but it doesn't contact the drill bit any more. Even when not "hammering", these still have a lot of vibration.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A ha someone was listening! I paid euro 30(not £'s) for a couple of cheap drills. One i used a lo and is still going the other is virtually unused and the hammer actio has ceased. I was interested to know if it was worth trying to mend it or jus chuck it in the bin. I don't know how the hammer action works. If money was no object i would have a shed full of the top of the rang tools which would never break but would laso never get a lifetimes abus so if i see a drill for euro 30 i am going to give it a try?? Aldi hav taken up this challenge but i dont have an Aldi locally. The French see to get these low priced tools before we do and i love to avoid VAT t Gordon if i can.

It shouldn't need grease etc as its hardly used

-- freddyuk

Reply to
freddyuk

The message from freddyuk contains these words:

They need greasing really frequently.

Reply to
Guy King