Halogen V,s LED Lighting

Hi Gang.

I am replacing kitchen lighting with either Halogen or LED. This raises the following Questions

  1. Size for Size is does LED give the same output as Halogen?
  2. If I go for Halogen lighting, how do you stop the heat build-up in an enclosed roof space? {the kitchen is a single story flat roof extension to the house.} I'm also assuming that the roof space is insulated.

Any help is appreciated. I promise I won't quote you to SWMBO if it all goes pearshaped. Although it's a good excuse.- (the boys told me)

Ronnie

Reply to
ronnie

I assume you are talking downlighters. Look at this one which is low energy

am trying one and initial impressions are good

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

That link works better with an 'l' at the end (i.e. .html not .htm). :-)

Reply to
Rod

Yup, watt for watt , but LED is a lot more expensive to install to obtain same brightness.

Use fluro on top of cupboard units, LED strip below and in cupboards and above kick plates.

GU10 for spotlighting possibly hob and sink , its aluminum reflector and most of heat goes out trhe front.

GU10 fluoro is not good.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

no.

you dont. Choosing aluminium reflectors rather than dichroic will help, but you still get heat buildup.

One option is to use LED downlighters, or better 5w halogens, to create the effect of halogens, and fill in with concealed fluorescent lighting to get the light level up. It'll save you thousands in run costs.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thus spake snipped-for-privacy@care2.com ( snipped-for-privacy@care2.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Since when has lighting a room cost "thousands" (I assume you mean pounds, not pennies)? Surely with normal use it would take a lifetime to cost "thousands" in electricity, even to run conventional lighting.

Reply to
A.Clews

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 08:33:36 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk wrote this:-

The comparison was with halogen downlighters. So, let's do a quick check.

10 x 50W downligters in a kitchen, 500W. 2 hours of these being on is 1 unit.

by eye averages around a little over 14p per unit, say 14p.

These lamps don't last for ever. Taking the figures at every 3000 hours we need to add the cost of 10 of these lamps, which costs over £14 if one collects them from a branch, say £15.

3000 hours consumes 1500 units. At 14p per unit that is £210.

Adding on the replacement lamp cost that is £225 for 3000 hours.

A £1000 cost is thus roughly 13000 hours.

In a house where they are very sparing and these lamps are only on for an average of 2 hours a day that is 6500 days, or 18 years.

On the other hand where these lamps are fitted people tend not to be very sparing. If they are on for an average of 10 hours a day that is roughly 3.5 years. 10 hours a day may seem ridiculous, but I have seen houses where these things are turned on all day.

Reply to
David Hansen

titudes:

Since someone decided halogen downlighting was a great idea.

Lets say we run 400w of lighting in one main room - and its easy to exceed this with halogen downlights.

6hrs a day @ 0.4kW =3D 2.4kWh/day =3D 29p =3D =A3105 per yr

Now, we allow an equal amount for other rooms, bringing us to =A3210 pa. Over a 25 yr product life that's =A35,250.

I'll let you calculate for more efficient lighting, but suffice it to say its thousands less.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

20 watt lamps are usually pretty ok for this sort of use. Subjectively the light output isn't as reduced as you might think.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)