Halogen lighting placement

Hi guys

I've got a study to light. The room is 2.5 X 2.5 meters, and I've got 5 x 50W hologen spots.

I've got one light in the dead centre of the ceiling, but I'm unsure of how to arrange the rest for the most even illumination.

The walls are painted white, so I'd expect quite a good amount of scatter.

One idea was to place them on the lines between the centre and the corners, about 20cm from the edges. This is close to the edge, but I was hoping that the light would scatter off the walls and remove some of the harsh shadows that halogens are notorious for.

Crude ascii art:

- -

- X X -

- -

- -

- -

- X -

- -

- -

- -

- X X -

- -

Does this sound reasonable? Or should they go nearer the centre?

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Paul Williams

250w to light a 2.5mx2.5m room. Yikes.
Reply to
Colin

The normal idea seems to be to put them 900-1000mm in from the walls - in which case, you don't really need the middle one!

You may be partially constrained by the position of the ceiling joists. Do you know exactly where they are? Look at the installation instructions for the lamps - which will specify the minimum clearance from the nearest bit of flammable material - i.e. woodwork.

Reply to
Set Square

That's what happens when you use the wrong type of lighting for the application.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You can't, they are not designed for even illumination. The best you can manage is if you use 50deg capsules rather than the common 20deg but even then you end up with the dark ceiling, dark wall, puddles of light on the carpet effect they were designed to produce.

Only if you use angled fittings and point the lamps at the walls.

They are not notorious for them - they were designed to produce them. If you want even illumination don't use Roddy LB Changing Rooms lighting.

Reply to
Peter Parry