Halogen Lighting

I want to install some low voltage halogen lighting in my downstairs toilet ceiling, am I right in thinking that the insulation in the ceiling has to be removed from above the lights and that some sort of guard should be placed around the fittings above the ceiling? Can someone tell me how to do this without access from above?

Many thanks

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Mmm. I have found that you can generally - if its e,.g. upstairs under the roof, and rockwool is what you have - cut the hole and push the rockwool away to make a chamber for the lights. I haven't actually bothered with flower pots or anything like that, just left a big enough airspace so that teh heat gets carried to teh plasterboard around the hole.

I DID have problems with toroidal transformer buried in the insulation tho. I DO have access from the top, and when I plated the attic with chipboard, I cut holes to allow the transforers to be in the 'cold roof' space. If all esle fails simplty remove a large section of rockwool through the holse to be used to mount the lights. About 0.5 sq meters of unisiluated roof will probably be fine. Although ths screws up the insulation, in use the lights are punching out 50W of heat, and in an average room, 50W of heat over 0.5 sq meters is a net contribution to room heating. Beware of cold draughts coming down around the fitting tho. If you can reach them from above, you can build little boxes around them with chipboard screws and maybe 'no more nails' to glue onto ceiling. This is the best of all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher