Halogen light problem

Hello,

Been in our house a few months now and encountered a new one on me. There are six halogen downlights in the kitchen. Two bulbs went a couple of weeks ago and I didn't get around to replacing them. A couple of days ago, all the other bulbs went in one go! I bought some new bulbs and replaced the old ones but the lights are still not working. Checked the fuses, no problems. I don't know much about these downlights. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Reply to
theRainKing

It is probably the transformer(s) then. I think some transformers expect a certain load at all times. Two bulbs blowing will reduce this load causing a headache for the transformer from which it couldn't recover.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

Thanks for your reply.

What do I do? How do I get at the transformer (I can't work out how to get the things out!). Would it need a new transformer?

Reply to
theRainKing

If its the transformer, you need a new transformer. Best thing to do first is test the bulbs, using a multimeter if you have no other halos to try them in.

The transformer wont be too far from the lights, quite possibly sitting on the ceiling PB next to one of them. Downlighters can be pulled out to find it.

I cant help but think this an opportunity to put better lighting in though.

meow2222

LOL, I like that totally unbiased description of halogen lighting!

Reply to
Graham Jones

That whole Wiki is deeply biased against any form of architectural lighting.

Some people want their lights to simply light up their room - in that case an undimmable CFL in a nasty light fitting hung in the middle of the room will be just fine.

Other people (most people?) would consider the lighting to be a fundamental part of the design of a space and therefore are unable to accept the compromises imposed by CFL's.

I've got low energy fittings in the hall, stairs, landing, utility, spare room and kids rooms. Everywhere else, I've got halogens and there is nothing at the moment which could encourage me to change that!

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

Why not write an architectural lighting article? It only takes 5 minutes to get the bare basics down, headings with a few notes under each. Hopefully it'll develop from there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think this would be good. I like them, when fitted in big spaces but have just put 4 x 50 W in a small-ish kitchen in place of a five foot striplight (on instructions of SO).

Unfortunately with a normal 8 foot ceiling they are, as the Wiki says, very bright if you look at them and there is a wide range of illumination level depending on whether you are in the beam or not. I think I would need about

8 x 50W to get the even lighting I had with the tube.
Reply to
Newshound

So why don't the children (I assume you don't mean goats) deserve what you regard as pleasant lighting?

Reply to
tinnews

Hi

They can when they learn to turn them off when they leave the room!

Steve

Reply to
stevelup