Halogen lamps very dim

My neighbour has a 3 bulb halogen light fitting, and all 3 are uniformly dim. Does this suggest a transformer failure and, if so, how easy is it to fit a standard type into a manufactured fitting? I'm thinking there may not be enough space. Any thoughts appreciated.

Reply to
stuart noble

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:00:06 +0100, "stuart noble" be enough space.

hi stuart, it is possible that one or more of the lamps are to big wattage wise, this could be to much of a load for the transformer.

regards bob

Reply to
burbeck

Another possibility is a bad contact. This should be invesigated as it could be a fire risk.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks, chaps. These are the bulbs that came with the fitting so I doubt if there's any overloading. I'll double check the connections though. I presume I'm right in ruling out the bulbs themselves. Presumably they either go or they don't.

Reply to
stuart noble

"stuart noble" be enough space.

Could you possibly take out one and then two of the bulbs and then come and tell us if the remaining bulbs got brighter.

Reply to
G&M

If you remove a bulb, do they all go out?

If so, they have been wired in series, not parallel!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Thanks for the response.

3 bulbs dim 2 bulbs still as dim 1 bulb works normally, whichever socket you put it in. Hope this tells you something
Reply to
stuart noble

Given the tightness of the spec due to price, I'd not expect an overloaded LV lighting 'transformer' to last five minutes. And if it is a transformer, they usually have fused outputs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Transformer is probably f***ed. Ask for a new one.

Reply to
G&M

Cheers.

Reply to