Halogen Lamp Problem

The bulb blew in a 300w halogen up lighter fitted with a dimmer switch. So I replace it. But it did not work. I swapped bulbs, no change and I gradually took the lamp apart looking for a break in the circuit, did not find one.

Without a bulb in the lamp the wires from the dimmer to the lamp have

200+ volts across them. As soon as I put a bulb in the voltage drops to near nothing without the bulb lighting.

Cant think what the problem is.

Anybody got any ideas ?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Erm! did you try a substitute dimmer switch?

Reply to
George

replace the dimmer with an ordinary switch and try again this will eliminate or not the dimmer as the cause

Tony

Reply to
TMC

No its sort of integral to the lamp wiring ( Slim Jim )

Chris

Reply to
Chris

The dimmer blew. They usually do. Inspect for burnt out tracks.

Repair tracks.

Then usually the dimmer is full on as the triac has also gone to jesus.

Replace with extremely large 'fuckoff' triac.

Next time it will probably take out the substation, with luck,.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many thanks. I will buy a new one, about £10 from costco

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hi,

Just take the dimmer out and wire the bulb straight to the supply.

If you just want some 'mood lighting' then a dimmed high power halogen is a very inefficient way to go.

Dimming a 300W halogen just creates a ~250W infra red heater that lets out a bit of light too. :)

cheer, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C