Halogen downlight phase out

Has anyone (probably Andrew Gabriel) got the full SP on what is happening with them?

AFAIK B rated MR16s will be allowed after 2016.

Reply to
ARW

polygonum

heard about it at LuxLive last year (I might have mentioned it here).

It seems to me they've got this round the wrong way, banning the LV ones, and not the (very much worse) GU10 mains ones, which should be banned.

I think higher efficiency MR16's ones will remain.

Almost certainly due to lobbying from the EU lighting industry - most of these changes are driven by commercial interests nowadays, mainly about locking out low cost chinese competition, and not by the actual science/efficiency.

Low efficiency LED lighting will also be banned (much of the cheap

1-2W stuff is only around 20 lumens/watt, same as an MR16). This is rather more because it's giving people a bad first impression of what LED lighting can do.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel