Halogen bulbs - GU10 - how reliable?

Just had ceiling downlighters fitted and 2 of the 15 have blown within about 3 weeks of use (in different rooms).
What sort of life should I expect from them? Does anyone know of a cheap supply (which I'll need if they continue at this rate)? Thanks
Add pictures here
✖

about
Most of the ones I fitted blew very quickly so I got a job lot of Screwfix's cheapest ones which have lasted well (over a year now). I reckoned the ones that came with the fittings were crud,
Dave
Add pictures here
✖
Dave P wrote:

These were B&Q bought. Thanks for the tip I'll try Screwfix.
Add pictures here
✖

Screwfix do a 35W Osram or a 50W generic, both guaranteed for 2000hrs (about 2 yrs at 3 hrs per day)
See http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 614&ts…872 for the 50W
NB ISTR that if the bulb is enclosed and overheats this shortens the life considerably.
Pete
Add pictures here
✖
Tenex wrote:

Yes. Only LV halogens I have had go came with the units. Got a job lot from newey and Eyre, and not one has gone (yet) after 18 months.
Main halogens blow all the time.

Add pictures here
✖
Dave P wrote:

Yup - I would second that - I fitted a 4 way unit and one of the supplied bulbs went inside a couple of weeks, although to be fair all the others are still going strong as is the screefix replacement.
Also make sure you get the right type of bulf for the fitting - don't try and use a dichroic bulbs if the fitting is not designed for them since they allow more heat to escape through the rear of the bulb.
--
Cheers,

John.

✖
Tenex wrote:

I posted a similar Q recently regarding the 12 or so of these bulbs fitted in our new kitchen, which were initially blowing at a rate of about 1 a week. Seems to have settled down now, so I guess the originals were either crap or maybe mishandled by being allowed to bounce around in the back of the pikey old van the kitchen fitter used. Prices for these things vary enormously, but the cheapest place for small quantities seems to be Lavers at about £3.50 each. None of the Lavers replacements that I have fitted have blown yet.
Regards, Jim.
Add pictures here
✖

each.
I have had the same bad experience with original g50 bulbs supplied with fittings and some replacements
My local "pound shop" is currently g50 of various wattages --- yes they are a 1.00 each the same price as G10 and g20 bulbs and they seem to work just fine I fitted one 4 weeks back -- needless to say I now have several years supply .
Regarding bulb quality I had to stop buying car bulbs from my local auto shop because of poor quality (before anybody jumps in yes the charging voltage and earthing was checked and was OK), actually had to buy Bosch 380 stop/tail bulbs from Halfrauds to get them to last more than 3 months.
Add pictures here
✖

Yup - the centre brake light in my car eats bulbs - I suppose it gets too hot - and I've found the makers ones that I'd guess are Bosch or Hella last longer than accessory shop ones.
--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

✖
AWM wrote:

These are GU10 not low voltage 2-prong? Worth a look.
Add pictures here
✖
Jim Walsh wrote:

Are Lavers online? i'm struggling to get below £4.75.
Add pictures here
✖