Halogen bulbs - GU10 - how reliable?

Just had ceiling downlighters fitted and 2 of the 15 have blown within about

3 weeks of use (in different rooms).

What sort of life should I expect from them? Does anyone know of a cheap supply (which I'll need if they continue at this rate)? Thanks

Reply to
Tenex

Most of the ones I fitted blew very quickly so I got a job lot of Screwfix's cheapest ones which have lasted well (over a year now). I reckoned the ones that came with the fittings were crud,

Dave

Reply to
Dave P

These were B&Q bought. Thanks for the tip I'll try Screwfix.

Reply to
Tenex

Screwfix do a 35W Osram or a 50W generic, both guaranteed for 2000hrs (about

2 yrs at 3 hrs per day)

See

for the

50W

NB ISTR that if the bulb is enclosed and overheats this shortens the life considerably.

Pete

Reply to
PM

Yes. Only LV halogens I have had go came with the units. Got a job lot from newey and Eyre, and not one has gone (yet) after 18 months.

Main halogens blow all the time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup - I would second that - I fitted a 4 way unit and one of the supplied bulbs went inside a couple of weeks, although to be fair all the others are still going strong as is the screefix replacement.

Also make sure you get the right type of bulf for the fitting - don't try and use a dichroic bulbs if the fitting is not designed for them since they allow more heat to escape through the rear of the bulb.

Reply to
John Rumm

I posted a similar Q recently regarding the 12 or so of these bulbs fitted in our new kitchen, which were initially blowing at a rate of about 1 a week. Seems to have settled down now, so I guess the originals were either crap or maybe mishandled by being allowed to bounce around in the back of the pikey old van the kitchen fitter used. Prices for these things vary enormously, but the cheapest place for small quantities seems to be Lavers at about £3.50 each. None of the Lavers replacements that I have fitted have blown yet.

Regards, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh

Yup - the centre brake light in my car eats bulbs - I suppose it gets too hot - and I've found the makers ones that I'd guess are Bosch or Hella last longer than accessory shop ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman