Halfords... we fit... erm, no you dont matey

He'd probably been under it many times before, and momentarily forgot the load was there and much taller than the vehicle.

Reply to
John Williamson

That sounds like one which left AEI Wythenshaw works, sometime in the late 60s, only to come to grief here:

Apparently a lifting beam had been left in place. :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Hum quite, reminds me of working in one of the so called posh hotels in London and having to come and go via the back door. Yuk, I'd never eat there...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I thought you were going to say that they had resurfaced the road. There is a requirement to re-measure the clearance if the road under a bridge has been resurfaced, but the system used can accommodate up to three inches of change without affecting the marked height limit.

Reply to
Nightjar

Somewhere just north of London, decades later I forget exactly where, there was a level crossing that seemed to spend more time closed to road traffic than open, as it crossed the main line out of King's Cross. Alongside was a cattle underpass, with a height marked at 4'6", which means there was at least 4'9" actual clearance: high enough for my father's Triumph Vitesse to go under, but not for some of the cars that tried to follow it. I think they all chickened before actually hitting the bridge.

Reply to
Nightjar

Remember when we were nippers there was a concrete and steel railway bridge and underneath the there ran a small stream full of wildlife which was the main attraction, but the wannabee engineer in me did notice how much it deflected when there was a decent lump of steam or diesel loco over it

Indeed..

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , at 23:51:26 on Tue, 7 Oct 2014, "Nightjar "@?.?.invalid> remarked:

Possibly Essex Road between Broxbourne and Rye House stations, the level crossing has been replaced by a bridge now.

Roland Perry

That is certainly in the right area; we used to belong to the Broxbourne Motor Club, which was quite active in club level motor rallying. When I knew it, the crossing was in open countryside, although that was quite a long time ago.

Reply to
Nightjar

Now then, now then, now then, I'll fix it for you, the sort of thing the general public will never see, 'ows about that ....

Reply to
whisky-dave

Great minds think alike! :-)

I was thinking that such a 'HUD' would be the most effective way to alert drivers of the need to stop immediately.

The only problem being that, unlike the mythical '3D laser projections' so favoured of the movie makers (who aught to at least be the first to object to such fantasy), you'd need some sort of 'screen' upon which to 'project' your warning message.

I just didn't get around to thinking up a liquid curtain screen as the only possible non damaging method, i.e. I didn't give it any more thought than that such a HUD method would present such a problem that now appears to have been so neatly resolved by so little 'Lateral Thinking' effort.

Reply to
Johny B Good

In article , Johny B Good scribeth thus

Suppose it's heated and lagged for the forthcoming winter;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Hitting a 45m high bridge takes some effort ;-)

Adam Aglionby

One way to get rid of old laptops...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unfortunately, "Subscriber only content".

Reply to
polygonum

weird, comes up ok here, the Herald story from the time

Erskine Bridge hit by an oil rig getting towed out of the old Scott Lithgow yard, didn`t get many more orders for rigs after that.

The crane took 2 goes to demolish a few years later, it was a Krupps built goliath.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Have to register for that one too :-)

works. (scrape of Scottish Daily Record article)

Reply to
Clive George

Weird - that one didn't need registration for me!

Reply to
polygonum

No, nor me.

Reply to
Chris French

Crane demolition , 2 goes 2 weeks apart, 97 year after they hit the bridge.

Adam Aglionby

Was the crane used to make the oil rig which hit the bridge? Was the demolition because after the bridge hit they decided they couldn't make oil rigs there any more?

Reply to
Clive George