Half Price Adult Products..Great DIY Items!!

It strikes me that todays children don't play with toys of this nature so I imagine it might be a "skill" which is lost in the midsts of time.

I can just imagine a few tens of thousands of years from now the equivalent of Baldrick (Tony whatisname) musing over some trinkets found in a box buried in some place of historical place of interest. He holds up the cotton reel and what's left of the remains and wonders what this device was used for!

PoP

Reply to
PoP

The wooden bobbins aren't universal any more... The plastic ones are too light and don't notch! Make sit harder to pass on the skill.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Going back on topic, some kind of sex toy perhaps? Mechanical gerbil?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have a nice wooden cable reel that held 50m of 10sqmm T+E....wonder what that would be like?

Reply to
Bob Eager

THe mind boggles! :-)

Reply to
usenet

I think you'd need a rubber band that might be used to launch a Jumbo Jet!

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Maybe a wooden condom as they most likely wouldn't have a brilliant idea of the size of mans equipment in the 21st century......

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I allege that one such book was the Ladybird "Things You Can Make", or some such title: had various little toy-making projects using cotton reels, date boxes (so wait till Christmas time for the materials for this one, right?), and matchboxes. Went a bundle on toy boats, ISTR - including a paddle-steamer, rubber-band powered of course.

Reply to
stefek.zaba

ISTR there was something that one could do like this involving soap used at the stern of such a small boat in the bath. I think it had to do with change of surface tension creating an effective force to move the boat.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

There was a book by a guy called Leonard de VRies (I think) that ISTR had good stuff in it....but can't remember the title.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think I had that one as well, paddle steamers suddenly spring to mind, as does corrugated cardboard.

Reply to
James Hart

I am forming an opinion.....

Good DIYers most probably experimented with "physical" toys when young, so as to discover the dexterity one adopts when older.....

Shouldn't have been a glutton for those glasses of wine with my tea tonight.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

6inch nails, a cork as a body, knitting needles and plasticene blobs to make a chappy who balances on bottle tops.
Reply to
James Hart

Less elaborate, surely, but a bit of soap in the fork of a part-split matchstick works...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Hole in treacle tin lid, invert tin over gas burner, turn gas on for a few seconds, lid on, light, retreat, wait, bang.

Phil

-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to reply

Reply to